• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad case, needs modding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmt391

I have an aspire(or "apevia") X-Discovery

I havn't liked it for a long time. The front didn't come with any fans, and there was a spot for 2 80mm fans. I took care of that already, and now have a 120mm one. The back had a shitty 120mm fan, with a metal mesh fan grill attached to the case. I cut it out, put a finger guard there, and replaced the fan. Now i have two things left to do that I've been wanting to take care of for a long time but wasn't sure how.

The side window used to have an 80mm fan over the CPU. I took this out because it was unnecessary, but now there is a hole for the fan and 4 screw holes. I want to replace the window but I don't know what material to use for the window, and I also am not sure how to remove the current window. And while were at it, I wouldn't know how to put in a new one and make it look professional.

The other thing I want to take care of is the front bezel. It has a big, round, useless case temperature monitor with big power/reset buttons. on either side of this, there are plastic mesh rectangles. I want to get rid of all this, cut a hole, and put in a finger guard. My issue: I don't know how I would rewire and replace the power/reset buttons and stuff. The door is not an issue anymore because I took it off. Annoying and useless.

I'll post pics later on at night I'm leaving in a few but leave as many suggestions as possible without pics - here are Case pics from Newegg for now

You could do all this but since you're asking so many questions and wanting it to look professional, why not buy another case? In the end, you could have a crappy case with holes cut in it or a much better case that is great in stock form. The CM Store has several refurbed cases for dirt cheap. Not sure how much shipping is or what they include for hardware.

Axis

well, I don't wanna buy a new case because a project like this would be fun to do and I would be proud of my own work rather than someone elses

You can go to Raido Shack and buy some power buttons for pretty cheap. Easy enough to swap over, that way you can have your own, and don't have to use the ones it came with.

alright well the window is done, so now I just need to go buy a few buttons. I'll figure out the wiring and stuff myself and post pics when it's done

i thought this was cases and case modding yet everyone just suggests new case instead of doing the mods. cmon where's the fun in that. not everyone has a ton of disposable income. back to the op. so are you saying you want to cut out all the plastic on the front and replace with finger gaurd. i would recommend just drilling some holes in the plastic instead for better air flow as removing everything may create a ton more dust in the system. this is what i did. i too have a crappy case that i did some mods to and am now quite happy with it. keeps my temps way down. my plastic on the front had a bunch of little dimples so i just drilled those out. seemed to work well. hope some of this helps

Back