• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Undervolting Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

setotitan

i've got an Alienware Area-51 m5550 notebook, it constantly shuts off due to overheating. turns out this model is notorious for it. well i've been doing some research on cooling techniques, there's taking it apart and using canned air to clean it, keeping a cooling pad under it, adding AS5 to certain components, but lastly was undervolting. the author of the guide recommends a software program called "Notebook Hardware Control" here's the link: http://www.pbus-167.com/chc.htm from what i gather you just start the program, let it run for X amount of time, and it makes recommendations and helps you apply the changes. it all looks great but i had two questions...

A) is it safe to run on my notebook?

B) the article was written over a year ago, is there a better program out there than this one that i should be looking at?

=TiTUS

Undervolting runs your CPU at a lower voltage per rated speed than it was rated for.

For example, I can run my Dell E1705 w/ T7200 at 2GHZ at 1.000V
What does this do? It creates less heat and uses less power!

Is it safe? generally, yes. When you set a new voltage level you need to check that it is stable, just like overclocking.

My advice is start with your lowest multiplier first. Select the option to use multiplier #1, and set the lowest voltage. Now start up a program like Prime95 and run a stress test for several hours. If you receive no errors, you can write down that multiplier and voltage combination.

Now, change the multiplier #1 to the next highest and see if it can run with the same voltage level. If it crashes, up the voltage one increment.

When you test all of your multipliers, uncheck the NHC setting "Use multiplier one" and you can fill in each multiplier voltage combination!

Let us know if you have any other questions.

We are using 2 subnotebook underclocked for a year the other for 3 with no sideeffects.
You have to test it for stability just like an OC but that's all.

Undervolting runs your CPU at a lower voltage per rated speed than it was rated for.

Is it safe? generally, yes. When you set a new voltage level you need to check that it is stable, just like overclocking.

My advice is start with your lowest multiplier first. Select the option to use multiplier #1, and set the lowest voltage. Now start up a program like Prime95 and run a stress test for several hours. If you receive no errors, you can write down that multiplier and voltage combination.

Now, change the multiplier #1 to the next highest and see if it can run with the same voltage level. If it crashes, up the voltage one increment.

When you test all of your multipliers, uncheck the NHC setting "Use multiplier one" and you can fill in each multiplier voltage combination!

This is sound advice :D

test stability and away you go...

ok i pretty much understand what you're saying, except for the "Multiplier #1" option. when i open up the voltage tab i see a list of check boxes labeled "Multiplier of 6, Multiplier of 7, Multiplier of 8, ect to 13" then under that there's a check box that says "Use only Multiplier #1 and Voltage #1". from your instructions you say to have the "Use only Multiplier #1 and Voltage #1" box checked as i test the voltage on the other multipliers. however when i test the #6 Multiplier and get the voltage set, i move to the #7 Multiplier and try to tick the "Use only Multiplier #1 and Voltage #1" it won't go. the only way i can tick the "Use only Multiplier #1 and Voltage #1" is to have the Multiplier #6 box checked. so i can check #6 and #7 or #6 and #8 but to use the "Use only Multiplier #1 and Voltage #1" option #6 has to be active. is that normal?

from what i understood before making all the voltage multiplier adjustments active i need to test each one on it's own alone. then once they've all been tested activate them all. however i'm wondering now if i should test #6 and once it's stable leave the voltage change active, then test #7 and once it's stable leave the #6 and #7 changes active, then test #8 and so on and so on. i guess i just need a little clarification.

also as a side note, once i use the Notebook Hardware Control program to make all the voltage changes active does this mean i need to keep the program on? or can shut it off?

Yes, the Use only Multiplier #1 and Voltage #1 is the correct option.

For the first setup, you have to test each multipliet/voltage combo individually which means that you'll be running your computer at that speed/voltage until you complete the stability testing.

Yes, you will test multiplier #6 in the first field until you find the best voltage. Write that combination down and change #6 to #7 (aka, use the first field, just change the #). Now you will test #7 with that voltage. If it fails, slowly up it.

Once you cycle through all of your multipliers and test them, you can uncheck the "Use only #1" option to re-open all of the fields.

Now, enter in all of the multiplier and voltage data.

Yes, for the voltage and multiplier settings to be active, the program must be open. (Just have it run at Windows start) and you can change/alter how the system tray icons look like.

rmclock and NHC are the best programs for undervolting
i think pentium m and a few other mobile cpus you can really undervolt. i think the c2d's voltage was locked though

Back