• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Midori - an old/new Idea

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hafa

Way back in the day, I remember the predictions by IBM that all computing would follow a client/server model, with "dumb stations" in peoples homes linked to massive mainframes.

Bill Gates and Steve Jobs put paid to this model in the early 80s, but in 2003, Microsoft started exploring the possibility of bringing things full circle with Midori.

Last week, Software Development Times released details from recently viewed Microsoft documents about the current state of this project.

Perhaps the rapidly growing market for sub-notebooks
could be fertile ground for the adoption of this type of distributed computing model. What do you think? A hopeless attempt at further world domination? A Quixotic foible attempting to resurrect a well-buried past? Or the future staring us in the face?

A decent future in sub-notebooks but for a desktop, I like the current role. To keep all my crap on one machine and be able to access regardless of an internet connection or any connection to a server.

Back