• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No POST on bro-in-law's computer. What else to try?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KillrBuckeye

I built a rig for my brother-in-law in December of 2006. It has a Biostar TForce965PT mobo and an E6300 C2D chip. He called me this evening and told me that it is no longer POSTing. He turns it on and fans run, HDDs spin up, but no signal goes to the monitor and there is no beep code. I've walked him through a CMOS memory reset, but that did not help. According to the manual, the LED status lights indicate a "VGA error", and he plans to test out a different video card later this evening. However, I don't have much hope that it will solve the problem.

I had him remove all but one stick of RAM and the CPU, and there was still no beep code when powered on. I also told him to reseat the video card, but it did not help.

Any other suggestions for me?

Here are the specs:

Intel E6300
Biostar TForce965PT
2GB GSkill DDR2 800
BFG 7950GT 512MB
WD 250GB SATA
Enhance ENP-5150GH PSU (was recommended by several members here)

The first things I would suspect are the motherboard and video card. I would do a stronger board reset, pull the battery and all PSU plugs from the motherboard for at least ten minutes, and then try again. The other video card is a good thing to try. I wouldn't suspect RAM, at least not right now, as I think a RAM error would likely cause an error beep at POST. I wouldn't suspect the PSU at this point either. It's pretty odd for a chip to just up and die, unless he was overvolting it. Other video card first, then board reset.

Did you have him just reset the CMOS or take the battery out and let it sit? If you just did a reset have him remove the battery and let it sit for ~20 minutes. Not likely to fix it but can't hurt. Is there a speaker hooked up to the motherboard? Its weird that it gives LED codes but no beep code.

Obviously trying a different video card is in order. Just to cover your bases if his card requires and external power input make sure he has it in and even try another rail if available.

edit
Well ben beat me to it.

Back