• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I asking for catastrophe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikapc

Ok I have a rather old sys that I don't overclock anymore; in fact I am underclocking it and have been going for a totally silent system. Read my sig for an idea of hardware as it's still mostly that. Tell me if I'm crazy for removing the psu power fan and taking off the cover; so far it seems to be working fine and my pc is dead silent as I have also underclocked my video card and unhooked the fan as well and my cpu is water cooled. I know the psu is a shock hazard but given that I know not to touch the psu internals even after unplugging it I'm not so worried about that. The only thing I am worried about is causing some type of fire. I figure that given my system does not use a lot of juice and the psu cover is off that not having a psu fan going shouldn't be too much of a problem. I would love to hear what other people think.

Personally I wouldn't do it, It's an older PSU, Caps are aging, Etc, So the risk of failure has already increased over the years, Even if you aren't putting much of a load on it, It is still generating heat. You could always try and replace the original fan with a quieter one since you already have it opened up. Besides if something would blow, I would want the housing to keep any possible sparks in a closed enviroment.

Personally I wouldn't do it, It's an older PSU, Caps are aging, Etc, So the risk of failure has already increased over the years, Even if you aren't putting much of a load on it, It is still generating heat. You could always try and replace the original fan with a quieter one since you already have it opened up. Besides if something would blow, I would want the housing to keep any possible sparks in a closed enviroment.

Agree. DANGER...DANGER.....DANGER

As long as you have a sprinkler system no problem......

Why the need for total silence anyway?

If you are watching movies the sound from that should surely drown out a single low speed fan.

feel the heatsinks/caps a bit with your finger. If they're not hot to touch, hey, why not?

That could kill you. The primary sinks are usually live with high voltage high frequency AC anytime the power switch is on.

As far as the OP goes, I wouldn't. Aside from safety concerns, you now have no EMI shielding thanks to the cover being only half there. I'd grab a Silverstone fanless 350W instead (ST30NF), if you really must have no fan. That board is a 5V based model... you'll have to be picky with what newer PSU you plan to run on it... the Silverstone should be ok as it is designed for it.

That could kill you. The primary sinks are usually live with high voltage high frequency AC anytime the power switch is on.

As far as the OP goes, I wouldn't. Aside from safety concerns, you now have no EMI shielding thanks to the cover being only half there. I'd grab a Silverstone fanless 350W instead (ST30NF), if you really must have no fan. That board is a 5V based model... you'll have to be picky with what newer PSU you plan to run on it... the Silverstone should be ok as it is designed for it.

Really? Never happened to me.

You DON"T want to go around fondling you capacitors!!!!!!!!!!

I only do mine w/ the power cord undone. Not much fun though!:beer:

The caps are actually less dangerous than the heatsinks, as the cap leads are usually soldered underneath the PCB.

Nice post. Hey if you comprehend the risks and are OK then have some fun. You are going to learn alot about electronics.

You can purchase a silent 80mm fan and replace the existing PSU fan. Since it's old, go ahead and open it and look for swollen caps. If you see any, replace before you continue using it.

Back