• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming laptop for under $1500?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vorped

Registered
Hey, I was looking for a gaming laptop for under $1500 and I need some suggestions. I was looking for something that had:

-at LEAST a 2 ghz. Intel Core 2 Duo processor
-3 gb or more ram
-at least a 250 gb hdd
-very capable gpu
-decent resolution screen
-blu-ray a plus
-good battery life

The HP Pavilion HDX9494NR (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834147750) looked extremely nice, but I am a bit concerned about it's size/weight as I do plan on using the laptop while traveling. Also, do the 9600m gs's/gt's hold up to games like crysis?

Need some suggestions, thanks.

lol....A 20" laptop......it weights 15lbs which is a lot.

....That laptop will NOT have good battery life. I'd say probably 2hrs max...less playing any videos as its only a 9 cell battery.
The 9600M series will run Crysis...but don't expect high resolutions. It would probably be okay 1024x768 on Medium settings.

I Highly recommend the Dell XPS m1530

....That laptop will NOT have good battery life. I'd say probably 2hrs max...less playing any videos as its only a 9 cell battery.
The 9600M series will run Crysis...but don't expect high resolutions. It would probably be okay 1024x768 on Medium settings.

I had a 15" laptop once. Was a pain to lug around. While laptops a good deal thinner and lighter now, I almost guarantee that if you get a 17"+ laptop, you'll be groaning everytime you need to take it somewhere.

It's better to just get the smallest laptop you can find that will suit your needs, then hook it up to an external monitor when you're at home.

Bar none, the Gateway P-7811FX is the best value in a gaming laptop right now.

Agree'd that looks a very powerful laptop.

You can't have good battery life with a powerful laptop....so you gotta pick one or compromise.

Thanks for all the replies :). I don't plan on taking this laptop to work every day or anything, mainly it's just a laptop for me to use when I am at an airport, on vacation, as a backup, etc. So size/weight isn't a huge issue, but the HP laptop seems more like a desktop replacement to me.

The dell looked very nice, but the only problem was that the config maxed out to an 8600m gpu which seemed very nice. Even with that gpu and a weaker processor, it was more expensive than the gateway.

The Gateway P-7811FX looks amazing. I am literally drooling over the specs heh. The P8300 proc seems super fast, the super high rez screen seems amazing too, the frickin 4 GB of DDR3 ram, and the 9800m GTS fail to disappoint. Thank you very much ;D

I'm sure you'll be very satisfied with it. At that price point, it can't be beat.

If you are looking for a good gaming laptop worth your money, you might want to look into Asus F8SN-B1. Cost around CDN $1400 w/tax, T8100 Core 2 Duo (2.1GHz), 3GB ram running at dual channel, 250GB HDD, 14" screen 1280x800, nVidia 9500M GS.

I had one of these that I bought around a month ago. Pretty good battery life ~3hrs with battery saving. The laptop also runs cool when you play games. And I could use a mix of High and Medium setting for playing Company of Heroes.

http://www.anitec.ca/product/10773/...2.1ghz_14"_wxga_geforce_9500gs_512m_notebook/

;)

The gateway is the way to go. Its also pushing 3 hours just surfing the net. Thats fantastic considering the type of components in the system.

I second the Dell XPS m1530

I second the Dell XPS m1530

I'll third that.
I got one for college, and I'm not regretting it. Graphics are good, processor's good, although I'd upgrade the harddrive some probably if I were you. Get something a bit faster

Plus, it runs BOINC nicely. . . ;)

Last edited:
If you like the Gateway 7811...try the lil brother for $600 cheaper. M-6864FX. I just got it and plays Crysis low-med settings around 20-40 fps all other games are fassst! The HD2600 is highly overclockable (620/700+) and the CPU can be undervolted to around .9875-.985 to keep temps tolerable. Just a suggestion to save a few bills.

the P7811-FX is on sale for $1249 at Best Buy right now, and you get your pick of a free $49.99 PC game as well. A very good deal indeed.

Haha, I just got the Gateway 7811fx a couple days ago. Seems, to be the notebook to get.

Im loving it so far. Got windows ultimate running on it and all patched up. This thing blows my desktop outta the water. I love it!

It really is, especially at the $1250 sale price it's going at right now. The price/performance is unbelievable.

Back