• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K8V No Post?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Whisky

well i recently picked up some new ram for this old war horse and decided to pop it in. the computer has run flawlessly since i built it 4 years ago without so much as a blue screen. its got a XP 3400+, had been running 2x512mb Kingston, and a 5900XT. now the problems began when i took out the old ram and put in 2x1gb of Wintec Ampo. as soon as i powered on, BAM. no post. hd and dvd wouldnt even boot. and after many hours of wracking my brain, i cant figure out what the hell is wrong:bang head. i can get the hd to boot if i unplug the ide ribbon from the board. when its plugged in, none of the devices boot. and no video at any time. period. im at a loss here as this computer hasnt given me a single problem in 4 years. any and all suggestions are welcome. im stumped :confused:

[EDIT] i have tried it with the old ram in but nothing. all fans and lights come on. drives will not boot if the ide ribbon is plugged in(in any of the 4 slots, tried diff. ribbons, too).

I take it you've tried a complete reset (pulling the battery)?

Try putting in just one stick of RAM to force a BIOS change. Switching from dual-channel to single sometimes shakes the thing loose - I don't know why.

Other - Since that board's been running so long as is it could be you just knocked something loose (like dust/dirt/debris) and it found a bad landing spot. The next step would be a good cleaning with a damp rag and some canned air. At the extreme end you may need to remove the motherboard to get everything ...

yea ive replaced the battery and tried any combination of ram in the slots, both 1 and 2 sticks. the 754s didnt run dual channel but i figured i would try it anyway and still no. so im gonna do a complete tear down and see. but im not getting my hopes up

well i tore it down, blew it out and put it all back together and still the same thing. the part thats really bothering me is why the hd wont even power on when the ide ribbon is plugged in. if its pulled out, it spins up. ive never had anything like that happen before. so short of buying a replacement board, i have no idea wat to do

Back