• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I use my 21" CRT monitor for HD playback?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ken B.

I've got a really nice IBM 21" CRT, and it's totally capable of outputting the right resolution, but if I remember, there is some chip that needs to be in the monitor in order to playback HD content.

Is that true, and if so, is there any way around it that gives fine quality?

I really don't like flat panels. Their image quality sucks compared to CRT.

Klown,
Could you let me know what software it is. Reply back or PM is fine. Thanks

joesaiditstrue,
I'm not sure yet whether I want to use a stand alone unit or just use a combo player in my PC. I think PC players are a bit cheaper, and i would be one less thing on my desk if I just get the 5 and 1/4" unit. I'm interested in getting the Matrix Trilogy on HD, but I also want the Blueray remastered Godfather Trilogy coming out next month.

Thanks guys!

I know my Soyo 24" LCD (Monitor, not a TV) which is 1920x1200, plays any 1080p media I throw at it, in terms of video files (.MKV, .WMV, Blu-ray ISO's with PowerDVD 8) and OTA HD via my TV Tuner + UHF Antenna

and my monitor is NOT HDCP compliant.

your mileage may vary, but you shouldn't have a problem

joesaiditstrue,

WickedClown sent me an interesting link, but I have to ask, how are you playing back HD iso files on non hdcp stuff? I thought the disc or player would prevent that if it detected a non hdcp display??

well, .MKV and .WMV aren't ISO's, they're .264 encoded HD video files, but the blu-ray movie was an ISO that I mounted with Daemon Tools and watched with PowerDVD8

Back