• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E 8200 and P-5NE MOBO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ghostnotes

Registered
I've had the mobo for a few months now and saw a E 8200 for pretty cheap and was wondering if this is an ok cpu. I'm not going to try to go crazy with an overclock since I've never done it, I'm just looking to do some light overclocking (LEARNING) and to have something better than my 4 year old 2.0 Ghz Pentium From H.P.

I can bearly get, let's say splinter cell smooth on this old rig with a 6800 GT OC and I will be using it for studio recording as well. I'm pretty sure i will see a big difference in performance compared to my old???

Please..... anybody, he wants to sell the E 8200 for $100 and I know it's in good working condition. Is it worth my time :confused::confused:

I started with a $50 E2180 when I started learning. The E8200 is a nice chip if you have the right setup to hit high FSB speeds, but with the E2180 you have a 10x multiplier that makes some things easier, plus if you fry it, it's only $50. You can get the E8200 if you would like, but I wouldn't learn on it.

Edit - :welcome: to the forums! I'm sure someone else will have a different point of view to better help you make your decision as well ;)

I just thought it would be a good over all processor compared to what I'm using now and in no way am I going to push it. I've read that 1Ghz over stock is a pretty sure bet, I'm not wanting to go over maybe 200 to 400 Mhz at the most for now and I have been lurking around here for a few months now and understand how most settings/voltages work and interact with each other ( i had better I'm an electrical engineer). Compared to what I'm using now I will probably be dancing in the street in just the performance gain in stock form alone. And believe me I know the difference between knowing and doing.

I just want to know if it is at least a decent processor.

For what you're using now, it's a considerable upgrade, sure. It's a real decent processor and you should have some fun with it. From what you just said, you'd be foolish not to jump on it. Btw, you should be able to increase a good 200-400mhz at stock volts ;) (ymmv)

I guess it's a compromise between CPU,mobo,gpu and memory. I already see the limitations with my mobo compared to newer ones. Voltages seem stable from what I read. Still, I'm going with an aftermarket fan and heat sink and also heat sinking my mosfets. I've done that in the past with my home amplifiers with definite results and never thought about doing that on a mobo untill i read it here. I know I really don't need to do any of these at this stage but they are cheap mods that help at all levels.

I guess it's a compromise between CPU,mobo,gpu and memory. I already see the limitations with my mobo compared to newer ones. Voltages seem stable from what I read. Still, I'm going with an aftermarket fan and heat sink and also heat sinking my mosfets. I've done that in the past with my home amplifiers with definite results and never thought about doing that on a mobo untill i read it here. I know I really don't need to do any of these at this stage but they are cheap mods that help at all levels.

Back