• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with WD6400AAKS install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shiggity

Ok I just got the 640GB western digital, plugged it in, bios sees it and device manager sees it. Yet it doesn't show up under my computer so I cannot write anything to it?

Am I missing something here? (I'm bad with HDD's ;))

I had the same problem when I got mine and plugged it into my Abit IP35-E. It would do what you where saying at first then it would appear in windows but would dissapear within mins of boot. I still dont fully know how I fixed it but I upgraded my bios and reformatted a few times. However I couldnt even reformat initially so I dont know how I got windows to even see it for more then a few mins

I really wish you luck man I had the same problem and posted it here and got no help but tinkering finnally got it to work. Its something I really wouldnt want to go through again. Ill dig up my thread and post it here.

I just sent one of those back to newegg.

see my thread in Microsoft OS.

Disk was partitioned in XP, then tried to do a clean install on vista with it.

NOPE.

Used Vista to reformat no problem, repartition no problem.

Install would not go with a shotgun to its drive head!

9 kinds of errors, all different.

pulled out an old 60 gb maxtor and boom fresh install.

So I went ahead and threw it onto my raid array.

Zero problems there.

Drive has something funky going on with it somewhere.

Are problems with the WD6400AAKS quite comman? I was thinking of getting one to replace my Raptor 150GB .. It sucks only being able to fit 1 HDD in my case (thanks to WC) otherwise I'd just pick up a 2nd Raptor and RAID 0 ..

I have the WD6400AAKS in an external enclosure. I had no problems with it at all. Fastest format I ever did, took almost no time at all (I'm thinking seconds, but can't remember for sure).

I move the drive from XP to Vista and back all the time with no problem.

It's a great, fast drive. I would definitely recommend it.

Two of them in a raid 0 is pretty awesome from what I've seen, plus you get over 1TB. Here in the US they are just too cheap to pass up.

Back