• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 Raptors Raid0 and wanna add....?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daimyo

Registered
Hello all, looking for some opinions here.

Looking at my sig, I've obviously run out of room on my Raid array ( 2 WD Raptors 36Gig sata1.5 in Raid0 ). This is loaded with the OS/Games/Files/Pictures/etc.

I've been using an external 160gig HD for saving pictures/files/etc. at this point.

Question right off the bat here with scenario's.

1st idea Run Vista on the raid array, and load games/apps to the Seagate SATA 3.0 drive. What kind of problems can I expect with the following setup being sata1.5 and 3.0 mix?

2 Raptors sata1.5 in RAID0
1 Seagate Cuda sata3.0 500Gig

2nd idea Would I be better to get rid of the Raptors and get 2 Seagates and run them in RAID0, and would I see much of a performance impact since I would be moving to the newer sata3.0 spec?

3rd idea Would I better to go with a Matrix setup for speed and backup? (I think the sata3.0 will default to the 1.5 spec since the Raptors are 1.5)

2 - WD Raptors sata1.5 Raided
2 - Seagate Cuda's 7200.11 500Gig sata3.0 Raided
All 4 in the Matrix setup

I'm taking any and all opinions and recommendations:)

Thanks,
/D

I was thinking about a 3rd Raptor, but at 1/2 it's price I can get waaaayy more storage from even just 1 seagate drive. Sure I could get a used drive off ebay, but why bother. If their as old as mine, then I'm still on borrowed time:)

I think I'm going to set this up as mentioned in Idea #1, but with 2 Seagates in Raid0.

2 Wd Raptors 36Gig (68.9Gig total RAID0 ) - OS and hardware software/ drivers
2 Seagate 500Gig 7200.11 RAID0 - Games/Apps/Files

I'm going to take some of the points made in the "Matrix Sticky" and apply them here, but will not run this setup in a Matrix mode due to the fact that the Raptor and Seagate drives are not identical. (we all know that will not work).

Instead, I will partition off some of the Seagate Raid for weekly backup of the OS.

Why so much HD space? Besides the old 160Gig external drive (which is almost much full at this point), I have another 3 old hard drives (old old old) that are full totaling almost 300Gigs. (Photographer:screwy: )

...still taking advice.

bad idea... Raid 5 is a pain in the butt. Random reset or power off and you have a slow system for a few hours while it checks for integrity... Hard drives don't really fail all that often these days.

I'm a huge fan of the WD 160gb and the WD 320gb drives in a Raid 0. the 160gb drives can be purchased for around $35 now if you look hard enough... you can't beat that speed/performance/cost ratio for anything. I have 4 WD 160gb drives in a Raid 0 + 1 and I get like a 9ms seek time and 245mps STR and it only cost me about $150 for all the drives including shipping. But this has been my experience.

I was thinking about a 3rd Raptor, but at 1/2 it's price I can get waaaayy more storage from even just 1 seagate drive. Sure I could get a used drive off ebay, but why bother. If their as old as mine, then I'm still on borrowed time:)

I think I'm going to set this up as mentioned in Idea #1, but with 2 Seagates in Raid0.

2 Wd Raptors 36Gig (68.9Gig total RAID0 ) - OS and hardware software/ drivers
2 Seagate 500Gig 7200.11 RAID0 - Games/Apps/Files

I'm going to take some of the points made in the "Matrix Sticky" and apply them here, but will not run this setup in a Matrix mode due to the fact that the Raptor and Seagate drives are not identical. (we all know that will not work).

Instead, I will partition off some of the Seagate Raid for weekly backup of the OS.

Why so much HD space? Besides the old 160Gig external drive (which is almost much full at this point), I have another 3 old hard drives (old old old) that are full totaling almost 300Gigs. (Photographer:screwy: )

...still taking advice.

Back