• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying To Load OS On A Laptop - HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DodgeViper

Trying to restore or place a new OS on a friends laptop. When booting into XP of which is on the hardrive I get a message of,

Missing or Corrupt – system32\driver/ntfs.sys

When I try to replace the OS I am allowed to get to the screen that says, “Boot from Cd” of which I do and it appear that the OS is going to load and begins to copy the files when I get either of these two messages,

ntkrlmp.exe – code 7 or setupdd.sys - code 4 are missing from the XP disk. I have tried a good dozen OS and the system hangs on either of these two missing files.

Could it be a bad CD drive not reading the CD's? :cry:

I have tried about a half dozen different CD's I have that have OS on them and all with the same results. It's not the CD's unless as what I said it's the drive.

a) download memtest and give it a whirl, keeping in mind that one full run is usually enough to spot glaring memory faults, but multiple runs are required to really test the memory.

b) if the laptop has more than one sodimm, pull one and try installing xp. if that fails, switch them around and try again.

Have you tried googling "LAPTOPMODEL xp install" or similar? like... "toshiba x123 xp install" or "compaq pos998 xp install problems" "issues" etc.

A file drop like that is almost always media related. Since you have tested multiple medias, I would think the next point would be the reader. If you can swap out IO drives that would be great or even boot from external USB or something.

If not setting up a PXE server might be the only solution :( And thats not easy.

Ran memory test and at PASS 0 - Test 14% - there is over 600,000 errors and counting. So I guess there is a memory problem. It appears that new memory is needed. This is a Toshiba Satelite Laptop Model P4538... Is memory user replacable in LAptops? I don't own one and have never messed inside of one...

Last edited:
Yeah you can buy laptop Memory pretty cheap nowadays. I recommend ordering some new sticks from newegg.

When I open the door on the bottom it does not appear to me ANY memory in the slot. Now this may just be an expansion slot to add memory while the other memory is on the board. With the laptop booting from the CD drive and tryng to install windows this tells me that memory is present somewhere, but this memory will not pass any test per the memory test. Unless someone has tasken out the memory and there is no memory at all.

Back