• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

74 gb raptor and vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stoner51

Is this drive to small to run Vista home premium? I have a 640gb WD. but wat wondering if the raptor would be faster. I read that vista take up 15gb of HDD space, which leaves 60gb free on the raptor. I have these two drives and was wondering which would be better. Mainly use the computer for photo and video editing. I can use the 640 as storage if the raptor will make that much of a difference.
thanks for the advice in advance.
steve

The older Raptors offer little, if any real performance advantage over modern 7200 RPM drives, and 74GB will likely become limiting in the not-too-distant future (I'm using 76.5GB of my 150GB Raptor for only Vista 64 & programs).

Go with a bigger drive.

They both are better at different things. The raptors have higher seeks (can find files faster) which is nice for OS and gaming when accessing small files. However the WD6400AAKS has a higher sustained transfer rate which is more important then seeks when dealing with large files.

Since you already have both you should use each for its respective advantages. I would use the raptor for OS, apps, and some games. Since you mentioned video editing you should keep those large movie files on the 640gb drive which again has a higher sustained trasfer rate.

If you can only keep one I think the 640 would be better because for video editing seek doesnt matter as much as sustained transfers and more storage is always nice too.

Also the WD6400AAKS is much quieter then any raptor if that matters to you

thanks, I will go with the 640. Will I gain anything from a raid with two 640. I have my pics backed up on two seperate external drives and my main computer. Odds of all three failing are slim.

Back