• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus hd4870 Fan Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iskor12

I have the Asus version of the hd4870. Of course this comes with the Smart Doctor program that is supposed to control the fan speed. I can't get my fan speed to come down from 100%. I have used Smart Doctor and also have tried the hotfix in Catalyst. Nothing works.

I have a
Asus P5K3 mobo
4gig ddr3
550W psu
Vista home premium 64bit

Before I installed this card, I used a driver sweeper in safe mode. I have installed and un-installed the driver several times.

I appreciate all the help I can get.
Thanks

have you tried the normal cooling fan fix? imo its just as flexible and gives better control. :) without the need to install more stuff.

have you tried the normal cooling fan fix? imo its just as flexible and gives better control. :) without the need to install more stuff.

To be honest, I don't know what you mean by a normal cooling fan fix?

Well you have to methods that i know of,

1: edit the .xml profile to manual and set the fan speed....which i think you tried
2: remove the yellow rpm sensor wire and hook the fan to a +12 source for 100% fan all the time.

google the "4850 fan fix" and it will tell you what to do, if that dosent change your fan speed, aslong as you do it right, then you have a jacked up card.

Well you have to methods that i know of,

1: edit the .xml profile to manual and set the fan speed....which i think you tried
2: remove the yellow rpm sensor wire and hook the fan to a +12 source for 100% fan all the time.

1.) I have eddited the .xml file...no change to my fan speeds when I ran that profile.

2.) That is my problem. It runs at 100% all of the time. I can't get it to go down.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

google the "4850 fan fix" and it will tell you what to do, if that dosent change your fan speed, aslong as you do it right, then you have a jacked up card.

Do you think that it would be a good idea to get it replaced. It is still with in Neweggs 30day exchange time. The only thing is, they don't seem to have Asus's version of this card any more. It says that it is discontinued.???

Thanks again

Do you think that it would be a good idea to get it replaced. It is still with in Neweggs 30day exchange time. The only thing is, they don't seem to have Asus's version of this card any more. It says that it is discontinued.???

Thanks again

I never RMA'd anything before, but i think they'll let you take the cash you spent on the 4870 onto another card. So you probably won't get the ASUS version, but whatever brand you choose will be there.

I never RMA'd anything before, but i think they'll let you take the cash you spent on the 4870 onto another card. So you probably won't get the ASUS version, but whatever brand you choose will be there.

What brand would you get?

they're all the same tbh. I'd avoid MSI, I don't like em anymore. Visiontek/Sapphire/Diamond/Gigabyte are all good choices imo

Does anyone know why Newegg doesn't cary the Asus hd4870 any more?
Did asus stop making this card because of problems or just because they wanted to get the 4870 x2 out?

I also just wanted to say that I started a support inquiry with Asus and they responded to me saying to check their forums and download the newest drivers. So, of course, I did this. THere isn't anything in their forums about this and their drivers are out of date on their website. I tried them anyways and it didn't work. So I went to ati's website and got the newest driver again.

I emailed Asus back to tell them my findings and they, in return, closed my case without a response. By far the worst customer service that I have encountered. and I though EVGA was bad

The New 8.8 Driver is out now. I am going to try this out to see if it will solve my problem.

evga's service is supposed to be top tier though if you know what i mean. however in this day in age. only newegg is good. the manufactures don't care. asus has enough to deal with thanks to nvidia's defective 8400 in their laptops.

8.8 might not solve the problem either.

runing the profile doesn't do anything unless you enable the overclocking feature. in case you didn't do that

although TECHNICALLY you should be happy that your graphics card is being cooled instead of the roasty ones that come default with like 6% fanspeed. :D

Back