Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

Someone put a screw in my tire...

Thread Closed

Old 08-14-08, 11:12 PM Thread Starter   #1
ziggo0

Someone put a screw in my tire...

...if you recall a few weeks ago, a thread I made asking about security cameras etc...

....today sitting on the front steps with the GF, just looking at my car...got it plated today...I'm noticing something hanging off my tire...thought it was just grass or something...upon further inspection...it's a screw...now sure you can run a screw over and it will go in...but if you look at it...look at the angle it's in, you gotta PUT IT IN to get it where it's at. The direction the tire turns going forward, vs. the lawls of physics say that it's very unlikely it got in there just by running it over. Better yet, it's in between a tread...which makes it even more suspect to being physically screwed into my tire.

When my GF's dad gets off work...he's going to take a gander at it, people are saying it can be fixed...my car looks terrible now

effing sad face:

It's a spare and not a donut thank god...on a positive note, whenever I hit a bump, it feels like I actually have suspension !

Old 08-14-08, 11:34 PM   #2
techun

weirder stuff has happened

7200.11 500gig
Old 08-14-08, 11:36 PM Thread Starter   #3
ziggo0

Not to mention I've gained my gf's roommate as an enemy...she hates me because apparently i stole her best friend lol? I'm just wanting to think that...it looks that way...no way to really tell i guess..

Old 08-14-08, 11:38 PM   #4
Enablingwolf
Senior Member overclocking at the speed of plaid

They make plugs for tires. Pretty easy to get and use. Kits usually run about 5 bucks or so at most chain autopart houses. Or you could go the other route. Take it to a tire shop. They will chemically weld a patch on the inside of the tire.

It could of very easy been hit by the front tire. Then as it was tumbling. The rear grabbed it. So don't just assume it was nefariously inserted. Though you can't rule that out.

Long as there is no gash. It is just a nuisance of fixin it. On construction sites. Or streets leading to them. I picked up plenty of screws in my tires. Sometimes they go in at odd angles.
Old 08-14-08, 11:45 PM   #5
{PMS}fishy
Senior A64 Killer

10 Year Badge

You ran it over, and you have a dodge. If all you have is a flat, thats a good thing.

Trouble Shooting 101:
1. RTFM
2. Repeat Step 1

6ghz Club Member.

cw823 Fan Club Founding Member, are you?
Old 08-15-08, 12:14 AM   #6
SteveLord

Yeah and? Before I went on a road trip....I had 4 nails in one of my tires. I think if someone was out to get me they would have given up and just slashed my tires at that point.

And mine couldnt be fixed. All but 1 nail wasn't going to be an issue.

Old 08-15-08, 12:16 AM   #7
rainless
Old Member

Alright ziggo! I admit it! It was ME!

IIIIIIIIIIIIIII put the screw in your tire! I'm an expert! (And a master of disguise: That shrubbery over there is actually me...)

Asus P5Q Pro 2002m @ 515x9 .63x 1.52
OCZ Fatal1ty Edition 4GB DDR2 5-4-4-18 @ 2.18v w/OCZ XTC Ram Cooler
Corsair 750TX PSU
Sparkle 260 GTX (65nm, 216) 696c 1512s 999mem
BLOCK: Swiftech Apogee GTZ RAD: BIXII REZ: MCRES-Micro rev2 PUMP: Pondmaster 750 FAN: 2 HS Yates CONTROLLER: Modified Evercool WC-202
Old 08-15-08, 12:16 AM   #8
nd4spdbh2

no one screwed a screw into your tire, if they wanted to **** with you they woulda simply taken a pair of pliers and pulled the whole valve stem outta the rim, its easy to do and makes it impossible to fill back up unless you put a new valve stem back in.

You dont even want to know the stuff i have seen in tires... my flat bed trailor has dual axles for a total of 4 tires, i use it to take trash to the dump, i think at one point i had 14 patches in total between the 4 tires on the trailor... mainly the rear ones from the front ones kicking stuff up. I have pulled some weird stuff out... ranging from screws completly embeded, nails, screw driver tips, 4 inch long pieces of wire, nails without heads, pieces of tin essientally anything small and semi sharp... believe me that screw in your tire is not intentional at all.

As per getting it patched... that is VERY close to the sidewall, you probably dont want to patch that yourself (normally i would say patch it as its super easy and quick) i would take it to like a big brand tires to have them check it and make a professional decision. (now if this was on my trailor it would be a no brainer patch, as the thing can run on 2 flat tires without problem haha)

#12 in the 4ghz core 2 duo club baby! - 52 inches of CRYSIS! - Black Belt Ubercloxx0r -- Heatware
Main -- Lian Li V2000b -- i7 2700k -- MSI Z68A-GD80 -- 12gb 1600 -- GTX560Ti --Adata 128gb S510 & 2x500gb -- Seasonic S12 600w -- Dell 2209WA
HTPC -- Silverstone GD05B -- E7200 @ 3.2ghz -- G41-M7 -- 4GB 800mhz -- g210 passive -- 320gb 2.5in WD -- Antec EA 430w -- 52inch Samsung LCD
Server -- Antec NSK4480B -- E3300 @ 2.5ghz -- ECS G33T-M2 -- 3gb 667mhz -- Onboard Vid -- 500Gb + 1TB hatachi + 1tb WD -- Zalman 400w
Netbook - Dell Mini 9 - Atom 1.6ghz - 8GB ssd - 2GB pc6400 - WIN 7 PRO!
Need 4 Speed - BH
Old 08-15-08, 06:51 AM   #9
Xenocide

Can it be fixed? yes.

Should it be fixed? no.

Don't ever patch anything near/on your sidewall. It is just asking for problems.

Old 08-15-08, 07:01 AM   #10
gottcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenocide View Post
Can it be fixed? yes.

Should it be fixed? no.

Don't ever patch anything near/on your sidewall. It is just asking for problems.
I agree its to close to the side wall where the tire flexes the most. But it looks like its in the meatest part of the tire, it might not have went all the way through.

H2O GTZ Block
Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1066@ 800 4-4-4-12 1.9v
EVGA GTX275, and EVGA GTX260 as Physics card
Thermaltake Toughpower 750psu -No mods to this
Armor case with 250mm side fan
vista Ultimate 64 bit
Old 08-15-08, 07:50 AM   #11
Adragontattoo
Trailer Chasing Senior

Location: 103 year old Victorian that I am renovat/moderniz-ing and fixing.

You want to worry about something.

A few years ago I drove to work, brakes felt funny but I didnt think much of it..

End of the day, I am driving down Rte 66 in light traffic and go to stop...

or not, pedal goes to the floor with minimal effort.

Luckily I had a stick and a functional e brake so I used that to get home.

Get home, pop under the truck and start checking calipers. One caliper had the bleeder screw tight enough that it didnt drip fluid but loose enough that under pressure (applying brakes) it would squirt brake fluid out.

At the time, I had 2 different husbands who werent exactly happy with what had occured between their wives and I so I had a semi educated guess of who did it.

A screw in the sidewall of your tire is NOT intentional (takes too much time to insert), you probably drove over it and picked it up in your tire while driving.

Classies Rules and Regs
Prices, slashes and edits
Quality over Quantity Pictures are NOT req.
Adopt an animal if you want one, dont use a breeder!
Adragontattoo is offline Author Profile Heatware Profile  
Old 08-15-08, 07:53 AM   #12
theELVISCERATOR

rofl at the car looks terrible now comment.

with brand new tires that car looks terrible....

Does it sound like a balloon fart also?

Galaxy Winforce GTX670 @1215/3404 SLI
Xfi Fatality Pro Sound
Boot /Adata SX900 256gb SSD
Storage/ 2x 640GB WDAAK Raid 0
Antec 1200/Corsair 750 TX PSU / Win7 Pro 64bit
Yamakasi 30" IPS 2560x1600

theELVISCERATOR is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile  
Old 08-15-08, 10:47 AM   #13
greyharte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adragontattoo View Post

A few years ago I drove to work, brakes felt funny but I didnt think much of it..

Get home, pop under the truck and start checking calipers. One caliper had the bleeder screw tight enough that it didnt drip fluid but loose enough that under pressure (applying brakes) it would squirt brake fluid out.

At the time, I had 2 different husbands who werent exactly happy with what had occured between their wives and I so I had a semi educated guess of who did it.

A screw in the sidewall of your tire is NOT intentional (takes too much time to insert), you probably drove over it and picked it up in your tire while driving.

ummm ... im cornfused .... what are you doing w/ 2 different husbands and 2 different wives? .... i thought that was illegal ....

lol
Old 08-15-08, 10:52 AM   #14
ps2cho

Quote:
Originally Posted by {PMS}fishy View Post
You ran it over, and you have a dodge. If all you have is a flat, thats a good thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theELVISCERATOR View Post
rofl at the car looks terrible now comment.

with brand new tires that car looks terrible....

Does it sound like a balloon fart also?
Are you both asking to head for banned camp? Cut it out.

OP: Is that the SRT4?

HDD Server: AMD BE-2300 // 6TB HDD's and stuff

Old 08-15-08, 11:09 AM   #15
nerdlogic

Quote:

I can understand being mad but that's too far.

Old 08-15-08, 11:54 AM   #16
wa77ss

Ya well don't cheat with some dudes wife. If that was your wife I'm sure you would be thrilled. Its funny how people brag about stuff on here thats completely irrelevant.

Heatware
Old 08-15-08, 11:59 AM   #17
Adragontattoo
Trailer Chasing Senior

Uh I wasnt bragging chief, besides in neither instance was I told that they were in fact still married.

and the "bragging" as you put it DOES relate to the OP as
Quote:

if you would like to continue assuming things please feel free to PM me.

Classies Rules and Regs
Old 08-15-08, 12:48 PM   #18
Enablingwolf
Senior Member overclocking at the speed of plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottcha View Post
I agree its to close to the side wall where the tire flexes the most. But it looks like its in the meatest part of the tire, it might not have went all the way through.

If you look at his tire. You will see a treadline. It is well inside that that. So just from the picture. I would say it could be fixed. It also looks inside of the contact point.

Unless it ripped the inside of the tire. Which radial tires are sort of good for. There is a pretty good chance a plug would be a cheap route. It is rare that a cord will be torn up, but does happen.
Or just take it to the tire shop and have them pull the wheel off and look inside. Just to make sure no steel is in a bad way. It could of ripped the inside pretty bad. Screws do that sometimes. Nails, usually will just push the cording out of the way.

If something is outside of the treadline. There is even more steel. Which makes it easier to rip out the cord. Past that slight groove(treadline) the tire has so little chance of being repairable. Since the steel cord is more then likely torn out and exposed.

You haven't had fun until you did a bead by hand. The machines are sooo nice.
Old 08-15-08, 12:57 PM   #19
wa77ss

Quote:
Uh I wasnt bragging chief, besides in neither instance was I told that they were in fact still married.

and the "bragging" as you put it DOES relate to the OP as

if you would like to continue assuming things please feel free to PM me.
Well I guess I just don't see the connection between a story about brake calipers and two wives (maybe they weren't wearing rings then) and a screw being ran over.

Heatware
Old 08-15-08, 01:35 PM   #20
Adragontattoo
Trailer Chasing Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by techun View Post

weirder stuff has happened
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggo0 View Post
...if you recall a few weeks ago, a thread I made asking about security cameras etc...
you gotta PUT IT IN to get it where it's at. The direction the tire turns going forward, vs. the lawls of physics say that it's very unlikely it got in there just by running it over. Better yet, it's in between a tread...which makes it even more suspect to being physically screwed into my tire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggo0 View Post
Not to mention I've gained my gf's roommate as an enemy...she hates me because apparently i stole her best friend lol? I'm just wanting to think that...it looks that way...no way to really tell i guess..
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainless View Post
Alright ziggo! I admit it! It was ME!

IIIIIIIIIIIIIII put the screw in your tire! I'm an expert! (And a master of disguise: That shrubbery over there is actually me...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh2 View Post
no one screwed a screw into your tire, if they wanted to **** with you they woulda simply taken a pair of pliers and pulled the whole valve stem outta the rim, its easy to do and makes it impossible to fill back up unless you put a new valve stem back in.

You dont even want to know the stuff i have seen in tires... my flat bed trailor has dual axles for a total of 4 tires, i use it to take trash to the dump, i think at one point i had 14 patches in total between the 4 tires on the trailor... mainly the rear ones from the front ones kicking stuff up. I have pulled some weird stuff out... ranging from screws completly embeded, nails, screw driver tips, 4 inch long pieces of wire, nails without heads, pieces of tin essientally anything small and semi sharp... believe me that screw in your tire is not intentional at all.

As per getting it patched... that is VERY close to the sidewall, you probably dont want to patch that yourself (normally i would say patch it as its super easy and quick) i would take it to like a big brand tires to have them check it and make a professional decision. (now if this was on my trailor it would be a no brainer patch, as the thing can run on 2 flat tires without problem haha)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa77ss View Post
Well I guess I just don't see the connection between a story about brake calipers and two wives (maybe they weren't wearing rings then) and a screw being ran over.
Read the bold parts for an explanation of why I included the story.

Classies Rules and Regs

Thread Closed

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.