• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

domains and workgroups

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mhypertext

We have another site that lost its VPN (AKA LIGHTING fried our hardware) tunnel so they got booted off the domian

we now have them set on locally on there machines and a local file server attached to there network

my question is i cant get the drives on there local machine to stay mapped to the server is that beacause it has to be a workgroup setup or domian for that?

i am lost

I do not think the workgoup machines can authenticate to the servers in the domain. I really need more info on the whole setup prior to the mishap. I would say they need to be be domain machines, you are saying though that the local file server is still in the domain?

no the local file server is on the same switch that the user machines are on

we had them on a vpn tunnel but our astro took a dump so we put a file server over there as a temp fix

Quick trick that should work (it has for me at work when prepping systems prior to joining the domain). If you can, rename all the workgroup system's workgroup names to the same as what your domain is.

Make sure that each user needing access has an equivalent user account created within the domain.

Map/access shares using the identical workgroup/domain credentials (usernames and passwords must be the same on both workgroup and domain).

Or, you could always enable the Guest account. I won't get into the negatives that come with that though.

Quick trick that should work (it has for me at work when prepping systems prior to joining the domain). If you can, rename all the workgroup system's workgroup names to the same as what your domain is.

Make sure that each user needing access has an equivalent user account created within the domain.

Map/access shares using the identical workgroup/domain credentials (usernames and passwords must be the same on both workgroup and domain).

Or, you could always enable the Guest account. I won't get into the negatives that come with that though.

so rename the work group on the server to the same as the domain and it will trick the pc's allowing all the same access as the real domain its like having a mini domain

so rename the work group on the server to the same as the domain and it will trick the pc's allowing all the same access as the real domain its like having a mini domain

Yes, so long as exact accounts are created in the domain to match those in the workgroup.

Back