• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build, need advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slikk

Registered
My question is, Do you think that the GPU loop below will keep the two 4870 X2’s that I have cool enough, or will I have to do something different. And if so, what do you suggest that I change in the GPU loop. Also, is there anything that is missing from this build? I have done a lot of research but there is always the possibility that I might have missed something along the way. I would appreciate any advice that you could give. Thanks.

Here are the System Specs for my new build. It’s primarily going to be a gaming rig and I will be overclocking the CPU. I plan to use the pre existing hard drives from my previous system which might be my bottleneck, but I plan to run them in a Matrix RAID Configuration and hopefully that fixes any slowdowns due to the HDD setup that I have now.

Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX VE1000BWS Cube Tower
Case Fans: 6x Thermaltake A2029 120mm Case Fans Air Flow 35.43-95.22 CFM
PSU: CoolMax CUQ-1200B 1200W ATX12V
MB: [XF] ASUS Rampage Extreme (x48 Board)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 E0 Wolfdale 3.33GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
GPU: Dual Sapphire 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2's CrossFireX (2GB GDDR5), 512-bit (256-bit x 2) PCIe 2.0 x16 20GB/sec bandwidth, 24X CFAA
RAM: Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
HDD: 6x Maxtor 300GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA (Matrix RAID Configuration)
DVD/CD-Burner: 2x Lite-On 20x DH-20A4H-06
LCD: Acer AL2416W (I have one AL2416W now, but I might run it x3, in a Matrox TripleHead2Go configuration) Need to do a little more research on this.
HD Audio: SupremeFX X-Fi 8-CH Audio card
TV Tuner: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1800 MCE Kit 1128 NTSC/ATSC/QAM/FM TV Tuner Card w/MCE Remote
-----------------------
Liquid Cooling System
-----------------------
CPU/NB Loop:
CPU Block: D-TEK FuZion CPU Block
Pump: Swiftech MCP655 12 VDC
Tubing: Masterkleer PVC Tubing 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD, 1/8" Wall Thickness
Hose Clamps: 10x Stainless Steel Worm-Drive Hose Clamps
Fittings: Swiftech High-flow fittings 1/2
Radiator: ThermoChill PA120.2
Radiator Fans: 2x A.C. Ryan BlackFire4 UV LED Fan - 120mm Air Flow 77.70 CFM (BLUE Inside, BLUE Outside)
Shroud: ThermoChill PA 120.2 Shroud
Reservoir: D-TEK Bay-Reservoir- Single 5 1/4"- UV Blue
Coolant: Distilled Water
Biocide: Petra'sTech "PT_Nuke" Concentrated Biocide (10ml)

GPU Loop:
GPU Blocks: 2x Dangerden GPU blocks look promising at the moment. (or something similar to keep the two 4870 x2's cool)
Radiator Fans: 2x A.C. Ryan BlackFire4 UV LED Fan - 120mm Air Flow 77.70 CFM (BLUE Inside, BLUE Outside)

Last edited:
Wow...nice build. Everything looks pretty good. I might choose a different PSU such as a PC Power and Cooling. I think they're more reliable than Coolmax, but I could be wrong. Your liquid cooling set up should be good enough to keep you graphics cards cool.

You might be limited if you tried to overclock them. I'm not familiar with those fans. Make sure you have powerful fans. CF'd 4870x2 will put out a lot of heat. The thermochill 120.2should be able to handle them.

BTW, that looks like a pretty bad *** momma jamma your building there. Good luck!

We haven't seen someone with two 4870 x2's yet under water and what size rad they had to use, Hope a 120.2 is enuff, but seeing the watts these cards need to run I doubt it.

Anyone have the german translated page on many rads tested for thermal capability? It was great, I lost the linky.

Here is a linky to the TC site, look at the wattage a 120.2 will dissipate with loud fans and decent flow (1.5 GPM). And in independant testing it's pretty close they say. 'They' meaning smarter and more informed than me
http://www.thermochill.com/PATesting/index.php#PA1202
It's a tad over 400 watts. Reading around it looks like a single maxxed out 4870 X2 playing taxing games like crysis might push a single 4870 X2 to 400 watts heat dump, so go 300 to 400 as a guide. Even a 120.3 will barely do over 600 watts with pretty darn loud fans.

We'll see soon enuff, hold off on your purchase of at least the rad, or WC just one on a 120.2 and see how it does.

Someones input: Copy n paste, other board, thanks to the author. Last two sentences.
The link to the thread:
http://www.crysis-online.com/forum/index.php?topic=23345.msg325025
I'm beginning to question the concept of 4870X2 Crossfire. A 3870X2 draws roughly 120 more watts than a 3870, and thus that is primarily due to the addition of the second RV670 core. Now, RV770 is slated to be basically two RV670 cores in a single die, and possibly with more TMU's. Ergo, a single RV770 should draw roughly 240 watts, just for the core itself, plus a little to accommodate phase reduction, memory, et cetera. That means a 4870X2 would draw past 500 watts, as it would be a pair of RV770 cores on a single PCB, with an added bridge chip, more memory, and possible additional power phases. The ultimate conclusion is that Crossfire 4870X2 could look at past 1000 watts, and that's just at stock. Oh, and how about cooling that? TDP of a 3870 is about 105 watts (odd how it seems to only use 120 total), which could lead to about 800 watts of heat dump. :/
That would be at a min a 120.2 AND a 120.3 just for the GPU cooling to have a safe zone at high ambient. Want quiet? Two 120.3 just for the freaking GPU's.

Great awesome cards, congrats ATI and NVIDIA (I have a 280). But I think we have reached the limit of what kinda power and cooling GPU's need. At least the Nehalem for it's increase in raw CPU power really doesn't use much power, maybe even less. It's getting crazy, by this time next year we'll need a 50 AMP feed instead of the 20 amp we use for a standard modern house outlet. Do we need to see the enemies armpit hair and the guys guts we just blew up guts in perfect demensional Physix harmony? Sure! Heck yea! But not at paying out the nose for the parts, electric bill etc. It's all about gameplay. Crysis is a perfect example. I played it on a UBER system, amazing to see every blade of grass etc so perfectly displayed. But the AI etc was okay, nothing new. It's amazing what detail we can show, but it's a game, does it matter? Half of me says yes, the other half says maybe not........

If it continues and energy prices keep climbing, looks like my old Pentium 2 will come out of the closet and I'll play DOOM 2, Descent, Mech 2, and online poker for eternity.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys

You might be limited if you tried to overclock them. I'm not familiar with those fans. Make sure you have powerful fans. CF'd 4870x2 will put out a lot of heat. The thermochill 120.2should be able to handle them.

BTW, that looks like a pretty bad *** momma jamma your building there. Good luck!

It sure would be nice if the Thermochill 120.2 could do the trick.

Those fans are good and can provide plenty of air flow .... but noice is loud ... I mean .. really loud.

I am not concerned with noise. This will be a gaming rig, and I always use headphones so I won’t hear the noise anyway.

We haven't seen someone with two 4870 x2's yet under water and what size rad they had to use, Hope a 120.2 is enuff, but seeing the watts these cards need to run I doubt it.

If it turns out that a single Thermochill 120.2 cannot to the trick for the two cards, do you think running a Thermochill 120.2 and a Thermochill 120.1 in the same loop would work?

Last edited:
just get 2 120.3's its better to over kill than wish you had baught the other one down the road... right now you have 2 4870's later on who knows the rads will last you for ever maybe later on you will need them maybe not better safe than sorry imo

plus yea the pa's are ****ing awesome but if you dont have the cash for them get another brand

GPU Loop:
GPU Blocks: 2x Dangerden GPU blocks look promising at the moment. (or something similar to keep the two 4870 x2's cool)

Looks good, personally these are the changes I would make if it were mine.

Swap: Radiator: ThermoChill PA120.2 for a Swiftech MCR320 (as noted by other members)
Swap: Fittings: Swiftech High-flow fittings 1/2 for Bitspower G 1/4in. Silver Shining Fitting Linky
You also may want to consider going with 7/16 ID 5/8 OD Tubing from Masterkleer, I love mine!

That's all I'd change if it were me though, looks like a plan and good luck!

Thanks for the input guys; I’ve been wrecking my brain for the past few days trying to figure out my rad situation. All of the advice you have given sounds solid, but my biggest problem is how to fit all of this into or on the case. Although it’s a big case, and I have room at the bottom of it for one ThermoChill PA120.3, the 4870 X2’s are so long that the PA120.3 wont be able to fit behind the 4870 X2’ once they are installed. There is room at the top of the case that will hold two PA120.2’s so maybe I could run each 4870 X2 in it’s own individual loop using one PA120.2 pre card. That would leave me with one more space that could hold a PA120.1. Is a PA120.1 enough to handle an E8600 CPU/NB loop if the E8600 is overclocked?

Fitting all of this into my case is gonna be a little tricky so here is a link to the case. Maybe seeing the case itself might help with some ideas. Thanks.

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Chassis/fulltower/mozart_tx/MozartTX.htm

Last edited:
If you put 2 PA 120.2 in series with a good pump that would cool both GPU's. One less pump and res at least. Can you fit a 160 PA rad for the CPU/NB? That would cool em okay methinks.

If you put 2 PA 120.2 in series with a good pump that would cool both GPU's. One less pump and res at least. Can you fit a 160 PA rad for the CPU/NB? That would cool em okay methinks.

@Conumdrum

Two PA120.2's in series for the GPU's, and a PA160 for the CPU/NB loop FTW.

That sounds like that just might work. I'm pretty sure I can fit a PA160 into the case.

As for the two PA120.2 in series, do you think the Swiftech MCP655 is good enough to handle the job?

hi there
that case will hold 2 120.2 in the back of the case just where the 4 fans are placed
it's a tight fit but it will work
and if you put them externally it's easyer to get them to fit
for a third rad i think you can get it to fin on top if your willing to cut a hole for it there
in my case witch is the same i have both rads externally and that works like a charm
exept if i'm going to move the case around then theyr a little in the way
i'll check a little later if it's possible to mount a rad in front below the 5.1/4 bays and post if it is possible or not but at the pictures it looks like it might will

sorry for takeing so long
i just checked my case and it doesn't look like a 120.2 will fit below the 5.1/4 bays
the hight i don't think will be a problem but the width i think is a little to tight
all of my mesuringstuff is at work si it's just by looking at it i'm saying that i don't think it will fit tho

My parts are finally starting to come in. I’m just waiting on a few more parts, then I can start putting everything together. Here are a few things that I changed.

RAM:
From: Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
To: Corsair Dominator 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

I think that the ASUS Rampage Extreme likes Corsair RAM a little better. According to the user reviews I’ve read, I haven’t seen issues between the Rampage Extreme Motherboard and Corsair RAM.

CPU Block:
To: Swiftech APOGEE GTZ LGA775 CPU Water Block G1/4 Chrome HI-FLOW 1/2IN Barb Fittings.

NB Block:
Stock, the Rampage Extreme has it’s own block for the NB. I was gonna try it and see if it works out. If it dose, great! it’ll save me a little money, but if not, is there an NB block that any of you would recommend?

CPU/NB Radiator:
To: ThermoChill PA160

@ jr1

I am going to try and mount the PA160 at the lower rear of the case. I’m not sure if it will be inside or outside though.

Fittings:
To: Bitspower Ultimate G 1/4 Thread 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD Compression Fitting - (1/8" Walled Tubing)

@ n3xu5, Good call.

Here is a link to the fittings that I plan to use. They have a high bling factor but I’m not sure how well they will work. Is this type of fitting to restrictive or do you think it will work just fine? Tell me what you think.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8...itting_-_18_Walled_Tubing.html?tl=g30c101s178

GPU Blocks: 2x Danger Den DD-4870-X2 Water Blocks

Right now these blocks are way to expensive, but if I put this system together right now, it doesn’t look like there is any way around it. From everything that I’ve read on the 4870x2’s, they are real power wh0res and they get lava hot.

GPU Radiators:
To: 2x ThermoChill PA120.2’s in series

@ Conumdrum

I’m thinking the CPU loop order should be…

Pump - Rad - CPU - NB - Res

And the GPU loop order should be…

Pump - Rad - GPU - Rad - GPU - Res

Do you think that this would work, or is there a better way?

Last edited:
you could always get a radbox and hang one of the 120.3's on the back of the case or ontop but i dont know if you want to have a rad outside of the case...

Hey jr1, thanks for the input, can ya post pics what you mean? Looks like ya have the same planned case as the OP.

Yea Slikk, about the ram. OMG, it won't work. Its MAC ram, you'll corrupt the HD on install, it won't show up untill a week later.....................
JUST KIDDING. I know little about ram, till I UG to Nehalem, then I gotta learn agin. My ram is over 2 years old..

Your neato expensive compression fittings are great lookin, they will fit on the rad. You want the look, great! I don't use them cuz they give no better clamp than a screw/worm clamp.

Rampage xtrem Mobo... be carefull one the tube fitting size for the NB fittngs. It cools your SB and mosfets too...... If you need to drop it to 3/8 for a NB loop, as long as your pump is good you should be okay.

Good start, let me eat, back later.

@ Conumdrum

LOL! Dude, you almost made my heart stop, joking about the RAM like that. I thought to myself, did I over look something? Glad you were just kidding.

I’m glad you brought the tube fitting size for the CPU/NB loop to my attention. I’ll have to keep that in mind.

Last edited:
Back