• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3870x2 Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

samsonite789

Registered
Hello everyone. I have three questions for the more-knowledgeable-than-I:

1) I have a VisionTek 3870x2 O.C. Edition. It works outstanding except for one thing: when I have Catalyst A.I. turned on (which is required to use both GPUs, apparently), I see strange, persistent graphical glitches in certain games (Oblivion, any game using the Source engine). I'd just turn it off but those games work 50% better with it on since it's using both GPUs. Has anyone encountered this problem or know how to fix it? How do I keep the performance but get rid of the irritating graphics glitch? Everything is up-to-date (8.7 drivers), I'm running Vista 64-bit, and the card is at 45C idle and 55-60C under full load.

2) I've tried using CCC to Overclock the card even further. It lets you go to 870 core clock and 1000 memory clock. I cranked them all the way up to the settings and found that it didn't increase FPS at all and didn't even really raise the temps. Did it actually overclock, or am I missing something? Do I need to overclock it more to actually see a performance increase?

3) I'm sure this has been answered before, but would a 3870x2 Crossfire with a 4870x2?

1) I have a VisionTek 3870x2 O.C. Edition. It works outstanding except for one thing: when I have Catalyst A.I. turned on (which is required to use both GPUs, apparently), I see strange, persistent graphical glitches in certain games (Oblivion, any game using the Source engine). I'd just turn it off but those games work 50% better with it on since it's using both GPUs. Has anyone encountered this problem or know how to fix it? How do I keep the performance but get rid of the irritating graphics glitch? Everything is up-to-date (8.7 drivers), I'm running Vista 64-bit, and the card is at 45C idle and 55-60C under full load.

2) I've tried using CCC to Overclock the card even further. It lets you go to 870 core clock and 1000 memory clock. I cranked them all the way up to the settings and found that it didn't increase FPS at all and didn't even really raise the temps. Did it actually overclock, or am I missing something? Do I need to overclock it more to actually see a performance increase?

3) I'm sure this has been answered before, but would a 3870x2 Crossfire with a 4870x2?

1. I don't know whats going on. so not much help i can give here. Do you have a 32bit copy of vista that you can verify it with?

2. Overclocking doesn't do much if your system is bottlenecked. maybe your cpu can't crank out any more calcs. Try running an insane resolution and then see if itll increase fps.

3. not to my knowledge.

list some specs

1. I don't know whats going on. so not much help i can give here. Do you have a 32bit copy of vista that you can verify it with?

2. Overclocking doesn't do much if your system is bottlenecked. maybe your cpu can't crank out any more calcs. Try running an insane resolution and then see if itll increase fps.

3. not to my knowledge.

list some specs

1) Unfortunately, I don't. I'm hoping the 8.8 drivers will fix it.

2) Bottlenecked, you say? My resolution is at max for my monitor (1680x1050). What do you mean exactly by calcs?

3) Oh well...

1. Do you have AMD GPU Tool or GPU-Z to monitor the temps of the GPU's...sounds like one of the GPU's is starting to overheat...

2. CCC OD doenst work on my X2...try auto tune...you will see there is no load on the GPU...but it acts like it is testing...

3. There is a possibility that setup could work...but you would bring the 4870 X2 down to the 3870 X2 speed...CF will run hybrid setups...but it will set both cards at the lowest cards speed...

System Specs:

Q6600 Processor
Asus P5E motherboard
750w PC Power and Cooling PSU
4gb GSkill 1066 DDR2 Memory
500gig Seagate Barracuda
VisionTek HD3870x2 O.C. Edition
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

I don't think it's the GPU overheating...it only happens when I turn Catalyst A.I. on and only for certain games. If the GPU was overheating, wouldn't it do that consistently for every game? I'll check again, though.

As for OCing, what's the best utility to use for it if CCC doesn't work?

And btw, thanks to all for helping me with this - I really appreciate it!

AMD GPU Tool is the best OCing software out right now...

Have you tried disabling OD and running those games?

Also :welcome:

anyway you can post a screen shot of the glitches you are getting?

Sure can. Here are some screens from Portal (although this glitch occurs in any game using the Source engine) and from Oblivion. Notice the 60fps - performance is completely fine and settings are turned all the way up. The only thing wrong are these glitchy rays coming out of everything.

Attachments

• portalgame1.jpg
    portalgame1.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 248
  • obliviongame1.jpg
    obliviongame1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 252
  • portalgame2.jpg
    portalgame2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 231
  • obliviongame2.jpg
    obliviongame2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 256
those look card related and not really driver related... But have you tried underclocking as an experiment to see if that goes away?

Card related, eh? I'm beginning to think so. The 8.8 drivers only made things worse - I think they're meant for 4800+, really. I don't know how to underclock...how would one go about it? CCC doesn't give me the option.

Back