• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low Ripple PSUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darckeen

Registered
Been looking into a PSU for my rig, thinking I could get away with a 450w and am willing to go up to arround 750w. The thing that surprised me when looking through reviews on hardware secrets was that only a few PSUs that seemed to have exceptional ripple performance. Some of note were the Antec Earthwatts 500 and the Corsair VX450 and HX620. In fact alot of popular PSUs like the Corsair TX750 had very poor ripple performance. Are there any others in the 450-750w range that are exceptional at correcting electrical noise?

Ripple is overrated IMO. As long as everything is within spec there is rarely a problem.

Johnny guru said it did not affect oc much, unless it's off specs, like what CGR said. That means at or below 120mV of ripple and noise on the 12v rail while under 50mV on the 3.3v/5v rails.

You pay for quality built which in turn will serve you for years to come. These quality PSUs like you've mentioned should also have short-circuit protection/over load etc and will not take anything with it should it fail.

Okie dokey, sounds good. I actually found the JonnyGuru site after I posted the question, they have a really good collection of reviews, but I didn't see the artical that you are refering to. After reading through some of their stuff I also became interested in the Corsair VX550. Its interesting how a PSU from the same line can be very different across wattages. i.e. VX550 being made by a different manufactuer then the TX450 and the Earthwatts 500 being virtually the same exact unit according to Jonny.

One more question, is there a list which shows who actually currently makes each PSU? Reason I ask is that I had ready that the Earthwatts 500 that all the hardware sites reviewed was originally made by Seasonic and is now made by Delta, supposedly. This would make me inclined to get the corsair 450 or 550, but I want to make sure they didn't pull the same sort of switchero.

Yes indeed! The ripple specs is from here [(H)ard OCP].

That's an interesting find on vx450 vs 550. I don't know who makes what though.

Also, you could consider the hx series. I'm comparing hx520 vs vx550. Read here.

The VX450 and Earthwatts are both manufactured by Seasonic, however the VX450 has much better capacitors and perhaps better build quality. I don't think this makes a difference performance wise, but it might be a better decision long term.

The VX550 is made by CWT and also has very high quality capacitors and nice build quality.

The VX450 is a big step up from the Earthwatts in design and build quality. The Corsair is an independently regulated high end Seasonic, while the EA is a group regulated low end Seasonic.

As far as exceptional ripple/noise suppression goes, you need to pay for that kind of thing. My SG-850 held the 12V rails below 15mV, but it also costs a fortune. My take? As long as it's in spec, it ain't worth worrying about.

Last edited:
Wow those are some nice reviews Blazing. That HX620 sounds awesome. If cost wasn't a consideration I'd probably pick that one. But I can live without modular cabling if it saves me ~$50. So I guess i'm left to pick between the VX450 and VX550. From reading the reviews it sounds like both PSU are excellent units. However the VX450 seems to have exceptionally low ripple, but less acurate voltages. Where the VX550 has extremely acurate voltages, but more ripple.

So which is more important, voltage regulation or noise suppresion?

Wow those are some nice reviews Blazing. That HX620 sounds awesome. If cost wasn't a consideration I'd probably pick that one. But I can live without modular cabling if it saves me ~$50. So I guess i'm left to pick between the VX450 and VX550. From reading the reviews it sounds like both PSU are excellent units. However the VX450 seems to have exceptionally low ripple, but less acurate voltages. Where the VX550 has extremely acurate voltages, but more ripple.

So which is more important, voltage regulation or noise suppresion?

Darc,

Those slight comparison differences won't make a difference to a layman or enthusiast like most of us here, they are for the pros like Oklahoma Wolf to point out to us through professional testing. As long as they are in spec, you're good to go. Depending on your hardware requirements, buying either one of those units is a "no brainer!"

This HX520 has held the same voltages at idle and under load from new for the past 20 months. As far as ripple goes, I don't have a clue. OW told me it's a good unit so I bought it. Best damn power supply I ever owned.

Darc,

Those slight comparison differences won't make a difference to a layman or enthusiast like most of us here, they are for the pros like Oklahoma Wolf to point out to us through professional testing. As long as they are in spec, you're good to go. Depending on your hardware requirements, buying either one of those units is a "no brainer!"

This HX520 has held the same voltages at idle and under load from new for the past 20 months. As far as ripple goes, I don't have a clue. OW told me it's a good unit so I bought it. Best damn power supply I ever owned.

+1 the HX520. Best PSU I've ever owned also :attn:

Yeah I think I got it, pretty much any Corsair will do. Thinking i'll go with the VX550, while i'd like to get an hx, just don't have the cash to justify the price difference if an vx will do the job just as well.

Thanks for the replies :)

Last edited:
Still haven't picked up a psu and was wondering if anyone has any input on the Corsair 650tx? Seems like a good deal for $72 after rebate from buy.com but I haven't been able to find any reputable reviews for it.

Still haven't picked up a psu and was wondering if anyone has any input on the Corsair 650tx? Seems like a good deal for $72 after rebate from buy.com but I haven't been able to find any reputable reviews for it.

Dark,

All the Corsairs passed strenuous tests performed by our own Oklahoma Wolf/Jonny Guru here:

http://jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=Search

and by Paul Johnson here:

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/revie...pZXMgLyBQU1UsaGVudGh1c2lhc3QsNTMsQ29yc2Fpcg==

They all come highly recommended. The TX650 is not on either review list but Oklahoma Wolf has reinforced it's capabilities and quality here several times. I think it's the "little brother" of the TX750.

It's simply a matter of gaging your needs and near future needs, finding your best price, and buying one. All "no brainers!"

Yes. :) If you really want... thermaltake tough power 1200watts or BFG ES-800. They have better quality than corsair and slightly better ripples.

Before scolding me for recommending the infamous thermaltake though powers, do a quick search on johnnyGURU's website or (H)ard OCP by Paul Johnson.

thanks for the link to that silent pc review on the 650tx, was very helpful.

bleh, so i guess i gotta chose which corsair to get:

$55 450vx - overwhelmingly excellent reviews
$80 550vx - praised for dead on accurate voltages
$72 650tx - good review but some ripple at high voltages
$83 750tx - some negative reviews

really i gotta decide if how big a chance there will be of crossfire down the line. i see a monitor upgrade in about a year or so which would make 2x4850s a plausable upgrade i think.

planning a e7200, p5q pro, 4850 with an eye to upping to a quad and cf someday.

Just to inform you, use the eXtreme calculator found here. And overclocked CPU wattage here.

Those are pretty accurate if you ask me.

For most single card setups, it's generally agreed that a good 600watt PSU is sufficient.

For dual card, like 2 4870X2, it's generally agreed that a good 800watt PSU is sufficient.

For your case, ~600 is good enough. A QX9650 @ 3.33ghz with 4870X2 consumes only ~400 watts.

Back