• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Port problem using ICS....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

Okay this is how I got it set up for now:

[ROUTER]~~~~wireless~~~~~[laptop]---ethernet----[desktop]

Now, does ICS just "share" the connection or does it give the desktop a new IP in which the router sees? Or does the laptop just simply act as the router and assigns a local IP for the desktop (in which the router does NOT see)??

I opened the ports for Warcraft III on my laptop and it works....but on the desktop it's not working.

Anybody know how to fix this?

haha... this is going to be interesting.

First, disable the firewall on the laptop, but not at the service level. If not done already, that takes one issue off the table. Do the same for the desktop. Let's limit the variables.

That done, ICS becomes a router without packet inspection. It just passes packets whichever way they need to go, and becomes a new hop for traffic. Nothing wrong with that, that's good. It also gives the desktop a new IP, not based on the other subnet.

Bear in mind if the subnets for the router and behind ICS have the same 192.168.1.x 255.255.255.0 subnet, it will not work. They need different subnets. I have successfully forced ICS to have a different subnet than default, but it was a pain, and I had to create a manual route at one point to make it work, as well as added a manual metric entry so the outside port would take precedence over the inside one. But once I got it working, I had a router behind ICS and a folding farm behind that router. It all went over wireless to the web, from the ICS box. So it can be done :)

But back to you. Could you browse the web before from the desktop? If so, killing FW might fix it. If not, then post back and we can work from there.

Ok with the firewalls disabled -- I can see it over LAN but it won't host online...
So changing subnets is more difficult?

Maybe I should just buy a wireless card and be done with it....It sucks I have two but neither has drivers for Vista.

Back