• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New here. Please help with first build!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

akkkmed

1. My max budget is $530, shipped, so please respect that. ANYTHING CHEAPER IS VERY APPRECIATED!
2. I do not game on the PC. I have a PS3 for that. I may try out demos just for laughs, but I will not game on it. I will use it for iTunes, Safari/Firefox, iPod Touch, digital camera, AIM, watching DVDs, ripping and converting DVDs, and downloading torrrents and whatnot.
3. I will be using a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit.
4. I have created three wishlists using NewEgg over the past month or so. After doing research, I picked what I and other people believe are the best parts for my tasks. If there is a suggestion of a change or whatever else, please tell me! Otherwise, please pick a wishlist and tell why you chose it.
5. I never have, but I am going to try my luck at overclocking. I hear that all three of these CPUs OC nicely.

I want to build my own for persnoal gain, such as practice for a potential job. And it's a lot more fun that going out and buying one.
Also, I want to overclock just to get the most performance out of my hardware, and also for personal amusement.

Build 1:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ Brisbane 2.8GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core black edition Processor Model ADO5400DSWOF - Retail
SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model SH-S202J - OEM
GIGABYTE GA-MA78G-DS3H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
pqi TURBO 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PQI26400-4GDB - Retail
EDIMAX EW-7128G PCI Wireless Card - Retail
Antec earthwatts EA430 430W ATX12V v2.0 Power Supply - Retail
RAIDMAX Ares ATX-801WB Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Total after MIR, including shipping: $29

Build 2:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX - Retail
GIGABYTE GA-MA78G-DS3H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
pqi TURBO 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PQI26400-4GDB - Retail
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Total after MIR, including shipping: $465

Build 3:
Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E7200 - Retail
Foxconn M7PMX-S LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / nForce 630i HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Total after MIR, including shipping: $471

******I forgot to mention, I already have a 22" Samsung HD monitor, wireless KB/M, and a 250GB external Seagate HD.*******
[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Last edited:
We would love to help you if we could read your post. Please use a different font color that is easy to see against the forum background. Black text on a dark gray background is almost impossible to read. :)

BTW, :welcome: to OCForums. :)

We would love to help you if we could read your post. Please use a different font color that is easy to see against the forum background. Black text on a dark gray background is almost impossible to read. :)

BTW, :welcome: to OCForums. :)

Better? ;)
And thanks for the welcoming!

I would recommend build 3. I have always preferred Intel over AMD. Also, I currently have a case very similar to that raidmax ares you have listed. Its crap. Runs very hot and lets a lot of dust in. My advice: for about the same price (i think), get an antec three hundred. Very good cooling and looks a lot nicer than the ares.

I would recommend build 3. I have always preferred Intel over AMD. Also, I currently have a case very similar to that raidmax ares you have listed. Its crap. Runs very hot and lets a lot of dust in. My advice: for about the same price (i think), get an antec three hundred. Very good cooling and looks a lot nicer than the ares.

Thanks for your opinion. Do you still pick build 3 even for my light tasks and needs?
Also, the Antec Three Hundred is $60, and......UGLY. Sorry.

Thanks for your opinion. Do you still pick build 3 even for my light tasks and needs?
Also, the Antec Three Hundred is $60, and......UGLY. Sorry.

Oh yeah that will be fine for what you're doing. And about the case, I agree it is quite ugly and I do like the ares design, I just wanted to suggest something that would be good for cooling if you plan to OC

If you are going to overclock system 3 is probably the best of the three, but if you are trying to go with the least expense system one is the least expensive and will perform very well.

If you go with the AMD X2 5400 you will need to also buy a heatsink/fan for it as tthe Black Editions do not come with one. A good inexpensive HSF for AMD X2's is the A/C Freezer for a little more the Xigmatek s1283 is better:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125

Back