• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do Seagate HDDs have G-force meters inside them?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Satsumomo

I dropped my HDD from about 2' (I opened up a suitcase and didn't realize it was in there, it flew towards the hard tile floor).

Of course, the drive failed 3 days after. On the drive, there is a legend saying that Seagate will not warrant any drive that has experienced more than a 300G shock force.

Do they have some integrated meter they check when they receive a defective drive? I really want to RMA it, even if it's really my stupid fault.

Also, do you think 2 feet is more than 300Gs? ;)

no... 2' isnt mroe than 300 gs, do you think when you 3XX gram drive hit the sloor it was putting down weight of 150+ lbs... i dont think so lol.

I know! Haha, it's just that it seems quite "generous" of them to limit it up to 300Gs!

But, do they have g-meters? I'm just curious really, that's my main question.

I know! Haha, it's just that it seems quite "generous" of them to limit it up to 300Gs!

But, do they have g-meters? I'm just curious really, that's my main question.

Kinda.

I've dropped a few WD and seagate HDDs by accident and after putting them thru the diagnostic test, they come back failing and report excessive Gforces and their warranty is now voided...

Hard Drives are lethal if thrown at people towards their heads...

The g-meter consists of a g-spot on the drive that they attach to a g-string, from which the hang the drive to determine g-force.

I don't think there is any "meter". I assume that when a physically damaged drive is returned, they check the physical components and can determine by the damage levels if excessive "G"s were applied.

Back