• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5Q Deluxe OC / Cooling Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n3xu5

Can I get by without adding a fan over the North Bridge heatpipe? I'll be overclocking a E8500 to about 4.0ghz to maybe 4.2ghz. I'd like to try and get some input from anyone who knows from experience if it is really necessary to add a fan.

p5qdeluxe.jpg

In short, if you want to go beyond 400 FSB you need to put a fan on the NB heatsink, with the smaller die it tends to get a bit toasty even at low voltages

I have yet to see a chipset go over 50C but my p5q deluxe changes maybe 3C when I blend test.

considering you do not need to change the voltage until you pass 500MHz, I do not think you need a fan at all. (1.4nb is needed to hit 600mhz apparently although I do not have a chip that can handle that)

I have a fear of shorting things out, but oh well ... if I do add a fan up there would this work?

I'm rusty in MS Paint, please forgive the crappy image.

Fan_Rig.jpg

Nylon spacers to raise the pieces of lexan the fan sits on right above the north bridge heatsink / pipe fins, and nylon washers that physicall touch the motherboard and seperate the metal nuts from the motherboard contact pads.

I'd remove the two plastic pins that hold down the heatpipe right over the northbridge and replace them with this rig ...

If you have "very good" airflow in your case, I think you should be fine without a NB fan. The heatpipe has a large surface area which definitely helps.

If you have "very good" airflow in your case, I think you should be fine without a NB fan. The heatpipe has a large surface area which definitely helps.

well, to give you a rough idea ... I'll have dual MCR320 radiators. They are 3x120 rads, and i'll have 3 fans on each pulling air inside. Thats 6 120mm fans, plus 2 120mm fans in the front of my case pulling air in also. And I'll have 1 120mm exhaust in the back. So total, thats 8 intakes, 1 exhaust.

However, I may end up flipping 1 of the 120mm's on the top radiator to exhaust hot air out giving me 2 exhaust fans and 7 intakes.

well, to give you a rough idea ... I'll have dual MCR320 radiators. They are 3x120 rads, and i'll have 3 fans on each pulling air inside. Thats 6 120mm fans, plus 2 120mm fans in the front of my case pulling air in also. And I'll have 1 120mm exhaust in the back. So total, thats 8 intakes, 1 exhaust.

However, I may end up flipping 1 of the 120mm's on the top radiator to exhaust hot air out giving me 2 exhaust fans and 7 intakes.

You would be better off having negative pressure. (Both rads exhausting other fans as intakes).

Ideally you want 0 pressure. Same number of intakes as exhausts.

Most OEM machines get by with the negative pressure theory. If you exhaust enough hot air the cool air will come from some where. But most real cases anymore have specific intake and exhaust points to give you a better balance as well as cool specific things.

Rads should always be used as exhausts though, because as intakes they are pulling warm air intothe case.

Best bet

rads as exhausts others as intakes. Add a 5.25" bay adapter as intake and a side mounted 120 that will help direct cool air at NB/RAM area.

You would be better off having negative pressure. (Both rads exhausting other fans as intakes).

Ideally you want 0 pressure. Same number of intakes as exhausts.

Most OEM machines get by with the negative pressure theory. If you exhaust enough hot air the cool air will come from some where. But most real cases anymore have specific intake and exhaust points to give you a better balance as well as cool specific things.

Rads should always be used as exhausts though, because as intakes they are pulling warm air intothe case.

Best bet

rads as exhausts others as intakes. Add a 5.25" bay adapter as intake and a side mounted 120 that will help direct cool air at NB/RAM area.

If I made one of the two rads all exhaust it would be the top one... the one on the side panel door at the bottom will be bringing cold air in from the room temp. I could go with 4 exhaust fans 5 intakes ... and 2 of the 5 intakes are not going to move as much air as the bottom rad to begin with because of restrictive mesh etc.

But seeing how this thread is going semi-off topic ... Does anyone else think I can get by without adding a fan to the NB Heatpipe?

If I made one of the two rads all exhaust it would be the top one... the one on the side panel door at the bottom will be bringing cold air in from the room temp. I could go with 4 exhaust fans 5 intakes ... and 2 of the 5 intakes are not going to move as much air as the bottom rad to begin with because of restrictive mesh etc.

But seeing how this thread is going semi-off topic ... Does anyone else think I can get by without adding a fan to the NB Heatpipe?

That is definitly better, not best solution but better :)

No I dont think you need one on the p5q deluxe

add a fan, these little chips get hot quickly, cooling and overclocking go hand in hand why try and skimp on a important chip that will effect the stability.

Back