• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Little Advice Needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OldSkool

Rest In Peace
So I currently have the cooling solution in my Sig. For those of you who do not care to scroll down, it's a Coolit Systems Freezone CPU cooling unit. I was thinking that since it cools so effectively as it is, with my OC E8400, I should be able to add a chipset block to the existing loop without losing too much efficiency.

My question(s) is/are as follows:

1. Is this advisable?

2. If so, what blocks are made to fit a P35 chipset?

3. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've yet to build a custom loop and really do not have the financial ability to build a serious custom loop until maybe first quarter next year and I'm kinda window shopping now, but other than knowing I'll need at least a 120x2(I think that's right), and swiftech is usually the best, I'm kind of at a loss, even after reading the stickies on the subject. I'm more of a trial and error guy; I can build anything handed to me or pointed out to me, but I find it hard to read and retain this particular information. Any help would be appreciated.

Actually if you are going to do that...you might want to look at blocks for the X48 chipset...also...remember...the X48 chipset is going to run hotter then the P35's...so this might actually hurt your loop with the added heat...

Since you are going to go with a rampage formula next month...you might want to think about what I mentioned above before spending good money on parts that might not be able to be used on the new board ;)...

Haha, yeah I know. My thinking here is that I will have a total of(and I hope nobody minds me posting figures) about $2000 in the beginning of next year to toss at upgrades for the X48. I'll need to build that almost from scratch as I'll only have a case, mobo, ram, and CPU to start with. I plan on building that with a fully custom loop, 2x 4870's and possibly 1T HD space. I want that loop to be for both GPU's, Chipset, and CPU. I'm thinking of a dual loop from the start even, because I think I'll need it.

That being said, in the meantime, I wanna push this board some because I know it can do more. I'm running at 4.5Ghz right now on the P35; not stable really, but that could have a lot to do with a hot chipset. I'm looking to cool that down a bit, maybe toss a bit more voltage at it, because the proc is seeing 1.360v at idle(which drops at load). The system is fully functional with no lag whatsoever, which seems to me to say, the proc is fine and the mobo is struggling. I also need to upgrade the ram to DDR2 1066's so that I can be fully stable(I know the ram is not even close as it's currently DDR2 800)

Anyway, this is getting lengthy and I don't think I missed anything, so thoughts?

its not stable because of the low vcore not cus of the nb i have my 8400 at 4.6 as well but with a 1.43 vcore what you need to do is bump that vcore and you will see that it will be stable but then your going to have heat problems... i dont think you should go with that freezone **** just make a custom loop

i have a custom loop just for my 8400

120.3 rad
3 medium speed fans (yates)
apogee gt waterblock
mcp655 pump

and even with that i get high 60's with prime load you need to rethink your strategy if you want to keep that overclock imo

At 4.2Ghz, I'm 100% stable at the voltages in my sig. You really think that I need that much more vcore for 300 extra mhz? I'm not going to break 1.3625 for 24/7 use regardless of temps, it just isn't safe, but, even then, I'm sure I can at least hit 4.3Ghz. Right now, fully load, I'm looking at 55c - 60c at the most.

there is a certain point that you need to really push that vcore just to get a few mhz... i think i have reached my cpu's limit i have 4.6 at about 1.43 vcore but if i try 4.7 i get no boot....iv bumped the vcore all the way to 1.5 n change but no go....

thats the way it is if you want it to be 100% stable push tat vcore remember your trying to give your cpu a 50% overclock so your going to have to give it a lot of juice

300Mhz is a lot! Especially when talking about that upper limit. vCore:CPU speed is not a linear function. It takes more and more vCore to move clocks same amount.

xtkxhom3r- radiator size won't give better temps. 300 triple radiators won't cool better than 1 triple radiator (well, they will because of the amount of water in the system, but forget about that). The problem is water temp and CPU block efficiency. You need a more efficient block, or more restrictive block, or you need colder water (ie chiller).

To the original question, sorry. I don't know enough about that product. Is this the TEC model?

Back