• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista 64 and ATITool, more than one driver problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Freezer7Pro

So, I have this new laptop, which, due to installation drivers lacking in XP, as well as a floppy drive, has forced me to run Vista. Fair enough, it's got the horse power needed, and I might as well get used to it.

However, I will use this notebook (HP Compaq nx9420) for gaming too, so I'll need to overclock the rather old graphics card a bit, to suck those last frames out.

Which leads us to the problem. RivaTuner won't work at all with this bubbling great HP OEM card, an X1600 with DDR2. Afaik, it's only present in two notebook models, and the only overclocking software to support it is ATITool 0.25b14.

First I went through the trouble of getting the unsigned drivers to work, I installed some kind of script to select the option of disabling the check on bootup. That works fine, but ever now and then (VERY random), the ATITool driver isn't starting. It "only" takes one or two reinstalls of ATITool to get it running again, so it's not the driver blocker in action.

Anyone have any idea of how to fix this? Googling things like "ATITool driver vista" only leads me to solutions to the first problem, and not the second.

Can/chuck/uninstall the ATITool or Ray Adams Tray tools, get them off your system, I have had more problems with both of these little proggie's and ATI cards......

You can control your fannage with RIVATUNER and have absolutely no funky problems with CCC and/or ATI drivers.....I switched a short while back, got so fed up with the little phuckups that the ATITool or Ray Adams Tray tools caused, things like forgetting/resetting fan settings to stock, little errors sometimes at shutdown....

You can still clock your card with CCC, and control your fannage with Rivatuner.....at least I hope you can, but since you are on a laptop, the vid card may not have a fan to control....

Trust me, it is the best solution for troublefree ATI card control if an actual fan is present, at least right now....

Funny how something made more specifically for Nvidia works as the best solution for ATI card fan control....

laterzzzz...........

Last edited:
Can/chuck/uninstall the ATITool or Ray Adams Tray tools, get them off your system, I have had more problems with both of these little proggie's and ATI cards......

You can control your fannage with RIVATUNER and have absolutely no funky problems with CCC and/or ATI drivers.....I switched a short while back, got so fed up with the little phuckups that the ATITool or Ray Adams Tray tools caused, things like forgetting/resetting fan settings to stock, little errors sometimes at shutdown....

You can still clock your card with CCC, and control your fannage with Rivatuner.....at least I hope you can, but since you are on a laptop, the vid card may not have a fan to control....

Trust me, it is the best solution for troublefree ATI card control if an actual fan is present, at least right now....

Funny how something made more specifically for Nvidia works as the best solution for ATI card fan control....

laterzzzz...........

The thing is, that ATITool 0.25b14 is the only software out there that will do the overclocking. No version of RivaTuner will discover it correctly, and HP didn't add overclocking into the custom drivers.

CCC will/should be an option to clock the vid card, or am I missing something???? I do have an ATI card.....my lappy is old compared to today's rigs...single core AMD running 2.8gig....

oops..............

just checked the CCC installation on mine, since I don't o'clock lappy vids (the heat is the killer even before you clock it) I never really ventured down this path....I wuz surprised to find that you can't clock the vid with CCC...my bet is they did that on purpose cause of the heat produced....so you really can't blame the manu/vendor (HP)

I apologize for the wrong informations...Riva tuner should be able to control the speed of the fannage in any event...

laterzzz...................

CCC will/should be an option to clock the vid card, or am I missing something???? I do have an ATI card.....my lappy is old compared to today's rigs...single core AMD running 2.8gig....

oops..............

just checked the CCC installation on mine, since I don't o'clock lappy vids (the heat is the killer even before you clock it) I never really ventured down this path....I wuz surprised to find that you can't clock the vid with CCC...my bet is they did that on purpose cause of the heat produced....so you really can't blame the manu/vendor (HP)

I apologize for the wrong informations...Riva tuner should be able to control the speed of the fannage in any event...

laterzzz...................

Well, fan isn't a problem, BIOS handles it (Shared CPU/GPU) fan fine. It never ever runs on full revs, no matter oc.

And yet again, yes, HP can be blamed, for creating off-standard graphics cards. Any normal laptop graphics card can be overclocked with RivaTuner/ATITool, even my old Mobility 9200. They're normal cards.

This card, however, is one of very, very few Mobility X1600s with DDR2 over the DDR3 that is what's supposed to be in them. ATITool 0.25b14 is the only program and version to even recognize the card.

Back