• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wifes Scrounge PC components

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have run that same heat sink with a Q6600 G0 running a slight overclock and it keep the temps reasonable. Everything looks good as far as I am concerned.

I have run that same heat sink with a Q6600 G0 running a slight overclock and it keep the temps reasonable. Everything looks good as far as I am concerned.

She doesn't have a Q6600 though, it's a Pentium D or something. Not a Core 2 Duo, but still a 64 bit CPU.

It's not going to be overclocked either, all she plays is WoW. :-/

Well, depending on how much storage you need, 1tb could be really overkill for your purpose. The Western Digital 640gb is faster and cheaper, and 640gb is still a lot.
If the price or size isn't a problem, you could go with a Western Digital Velociraptor (300GB), they are about 30% faster then the 640gb or 1tb disks. You might be concerned with noise, but you could use rubber brackets or something like a drive silencing bay. And they aren't that noisy anyways, at least not compared to older harddrives or older raptors.
The other parts seems good and should have no problem running WoW smoothly.
Depending on the budget, you could also consider raiding 2x WD 640gb or velociraptors for really fast map and instance load times. This is could be good if your wife hates waiting for loads ;) As for loads, 2x 640gb disks in raid-0 will be cheaper and load maps faster then 1 velociraptor, but then you would have 1.28tb of storage wich could be way overkill depending on the other use of the computer.

Well, depending on how much storage you need, 1tb could be really overkill for your purpose. The Western Digital 640gb is faster and cheaper, and 640gb is still a lot.
If the price or size isn't a problem, you could go with a Western Digital Velociraptor (300GB), they are about 30% faster then the 640gb or 1tb disks. You might be concerned with noise, but you could use rubber brackets or something like a drive silencing bay. And they aren't that noisy anyways, at least not compared to older harddrives or older raptors.
The other parts seems good and should have no problem running WoW smoothly.
Depending on the budget, you could also consider raiding 2x WD 640gb or velociraptors for really fast map and instance load times. This is could be good if your wife hates waiting for loads ;) As for loads, 2x 640gb disks in raid-0 will be cheaper and load maps faster then 1 velociraptor, but then you would have 1.28tb of storage wich could be way overkill depending on the other use of the computer.

We wouldn't be utilizing a raid array and although the 2x 640gb WD drives would be cheaper per GB than the 1TB Seagate, there's also the 2 year warranty difference.

It's just a scrounge PC that will run WoW in sleep mode if it needed to with the capability to play other games that she's interested in i.e. Spore, Sims 3, etc etc...

Ok, then i would strongly suggest you partition the TB dive in 2-3 partitions.
1 for OS+programs, 1 for games and frequently used material, and the rest of the disk for storage. Sugested sizes 40-50gb + 50-100gb + rest of disk.
I don't know how into HDDs you are, but partitioning the drive like this will give you 30-50% better performance for the OS and games. And i would strongly suggest you make the partitions in the order i posted, since the first partition will be the fastest one.
The first 100-150gbs of these 1tb drives are actually faster then the old raptors when it comes to transfer rates.

Back