• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nuther' noob question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

evanAZO

Registered
howdie,i was just looking into purchasing some ram for my two year old dell desktop (xps) and i noticed it had four ram slots(DDR2 dunno speed). and two of them are being used with 1gig sticks.... i noticed on newegg there were 2 gig slots u can buy, so could i put two gig sticks in with the one gig sticks????

i also checked the 1 gig sticks to see if it said the speed and their is some cover over it...

Probably, yes, you could mix memory. Just check if your motherboard is not limited to certain total amount of memory like 2gb.

If you are running 32-bit windows it will only recoignize 4gb maximum. Check with Dell and find the memory capacities I know with the XPS 400 you can use upto 1gb per slot max.

On the memory in your computer there should be sticker with the speed of the memory, try and match the speed. If you put faster memory in your computer will run it at the speed of the slower memory. Also make sure the memory you buy runs at 1.8 volts the Dells do not allow you to raise the voltage.

well it looks like i'll probably go with just the 1 gig sticks. however i still can't figure out the speed. i inherited this comp from a friend and he says he replaced his ram to a higher speed.. but doesn't remember which :)

Back