• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU temp too high on E8600?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Feelthepower

Registered
Idle temp for my intel cpu E8600 seems to be 31c, but when I play a 3d game like Tom Clancy's Vegas, my cpu temp rises to 65c at least.

I had pc probe 2 running, the cpu alarm is set to go off at 65c, when i exited the game the alarm went off in pc probe 2. So firstly is my cpu running to high for 3d games or is pc probe 2 65c warning set too low?

Running on a formula Rampage board, bios 407 and cooled by the standard intel fan and a couple of case fans, using vista 64 bit.

My cpu fan is showing 1700 rpm too, seems low? In the AI Gear 3 the profile i selected was turbo mode so I would have thought this would give me better RPM of the cpu fan, it seems low though, could this be the problem? I would have thought that if the thermal wasn't right then my idle temp would have been a lot higher than 31c. I don't see any other way of increasing the fan rpm though.

look in the bios for fan control and see if there is anything in there.

I had a look earlier but couldn't see much, however in the manual it states...

If installing a dual-core cpu, connect the chasis fan cable to the cha_Fan1 connector to ensure system stability]

Now what would that mean? Connect the cpu fan to the CHA_Fan1 pin(3 pin) or put the chasis fan into CHA_FAn1?

I have 3 fans on the coolermaster S, the exhaust fan which i have on CHA_Fan1

What OC are you running? My guess would be to ditch the useless stock fan and treat that CPU to some decent cooling and your problems are over.

What OC are you running? My guess would be to ditch the useless stock fan and treat that CPU to some decent cooling and your problems are over.

The bios is on default for the most part(bios 407 formula ramapge) virtually everything is set to auto in the oc section. I don't understand why the cpu fan is only at 1700 rpm. My old p4 fan used to spin at 2100. I really think this is part of the problem, when the cpu temp climbs the fan doesn't increase it's speed, I'm sure if it went to 2100 or so then the cpu temp would surely drop.

Oh and what I mentioned earlier about the cpu fan maybe going onto cha_fan1, can't do that as cpu fan is 4 pin female and cha_fan pins are 3 pin male.

I have Q-Fan turned off in windows btw, I have ASUS AI Gear3+ set mode set to High performance.

At a complete loss

The bios is on default for the most part(bios 407 formula ramapge) virtually everything is set to auto in the oc section. I don't understand why the cpu fan is only at 1700 rpm. My old p4 fan used to spin at 2100. I really think this is part of the problem, when the cpu temp climbs the fan doesn't increase it's speed, I'm sure if it went to 2100 or so then the cpu temp would surely drop.

Oh and what I mentioned earlier about the cpu fan maybe going onto cha_fan1, can't do that as cpu fan is 4 pin female and cha_fan pins are 3 pin male.

I have Q-Fan turned off in windows btw, I have ASUS AI Gear3+ set mode set to High performance.

At a complete loss

Ok, allow me to word it this way:

You have a Formula Rampage and an E8600.......I find it a stretch of the imagination, to say the least, that you aren't going to overclock the heck outta this chip. That being the case, I'd forget about the fan for a second, and get a TRUE(Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme) and get two 120mm fans in a push/pull setup and connect them to 4 pin molex's and worry no more about temps.

If, however, you are intent on not unlocking the potential of that ridiculously awesome setup, yes, connect the fan to the aforementioned 3 pin fitting. Beyond that, I've no idea what you'd need to do to get more performance from a stock Intel cooler, I always viewed it as a waste of time.

Btw before I forget again: :welcome: to the forums :beer:

Naw ditch the stock heat stove .....

Ok, I have ordered a replacement fan, freezer pro 7.

But I don't think it will help a great deal, I mean if the cpu fan is only getting up to 1700 or there abouts, typically 1730, then how is the new one going to spin that much faster.

What kind of rpm should the stock intel fan be getting btw on full load/3d games?

Ok, allow me to word it this way:

You have a Formula Rampage and an E8600.......I find it a stretch of the imagination, to say the least, that you aren't going to overclock the heck outta this chip. That being the case, I'd forget about the fan for a second, and get a TRUE(Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme) and get two 120mm fans in a push/pull setup and connect them to 4 pin molex's and worry no more about temps.

If, however, you are intent on not unlocking the potential of that ridiculously awesome setup, yes, connect the fan to the aforementioned 3 pin fitting. Beyond that, I've no idea what you'd need to do to get more performance from a stock Intel cooler, I always viewed it as a waste of time.

Btw before I forget again: :welcome: to the forums :beer:

I do intend to do a bit of OC'ing, however I've only just got it up n running this afternoon, the first thing I need to do is get it stable on default. So when the alarm in pc probe 2 went off when the cpu reached 65c, I had to find out why, it really should be able to keep things at a reasonable temperature even on stock.

Thanks for the welcome:)

FP7 on that hw is like a retread tire on a ferrari.

LOL, nice analogy and I agree. You'd want a nicely designed water cooling setup ideally, imo.

I do intend to do a bit of OC'ing, however I've only just got it up n running this afternoon, the first thing I need to do is get it stable on default. So when the alarm in pc probe 2 went off when the cpu reached 65c, I had to find out why, it really should be able to keep things at a reasonable temperature even on stock.

Thanks for the welcome:)

Np, and I totally understand the concern and agree. I'm actually purchasing the same mobo next month and it's going to sit until I am able to build an adequate cooling setup(water) for it.

Np, and I totally understand the concern and agree. I'm actually purchasing the same mobo next month and it's going to sit until I am able to build an adequate cooling setup(water) for it.

Ok, pitty, would have liked to have seen what kind of temps you'ld have gotten with the stock fan and also the rpm it's running at.

Does anyone know what RPM the intel fan can go to? Like I say the reading I get it is still showing 1730 rpm, AI Suite set to turbo mode. If that's the max the fan can go to then there's not much I can do, but surely it has a faster rpm?

There should be something in your BIOS called Q-fan. Disable it, and the fan should run 100%.

Also, if the CPU fan is 4-pin then plug it into the 4-pin CPU fan header on the mobo.

Make sure to get some good thermal paste as well.

There's no setting in bios version 407 called q-fan, there is a setting for the cpu fan where you can select either optimal, perfomance mode or silent mode. Perfomance mode is supposed to give you the maximum fan speed, I don't see how 1730 rpm is maximum.

Q-Fan 2 is available in with the asus suite software, again I tried different things and no difference, I have now uninstalled the q-fan 2 and using only the bios fan control, no difference.

When i boot into windows vista 64 and run pc probe 2, my cpu temp is in the high 50's almost 60c. Eventually this drops to the 31c mark with the cpu fan at around the very low 800 mark.

Now in the game bioshock, I'm now not sure what to make of temperatures, if I quilckly alt to desktop(game still on top but pc probe showing), the temp shows at 45c but then starts rising to well into the 60's and above. ALt back and it seems to drop.

With regards to the thermal paste, when i put the paste on, i put it on the bottom of the intel hsf all over. Put a fair bit on actually, just assumed that's what you did with the little package of the stuff. Can't remember the name of the thermal, came in 3 little satches.

Tomorrow my freezer pro 7 cooler is due to arrive, i believe that has thermal attached already.

Does anyone know what RPM the intel fan can go to? Like I say the reading I get it is still showing 1730 rpm, AI Suite set to turbo mode. If that's the max the fan can go to then there's not much I can do, but surely it has a faster rpm?

What temp program and fan RPM program are you using, I have stock HSF and it works perfect.

Last edited:
What temp program and fan RPM program are you using, I have stock HSF

PC Probe 2, I've tried pc wizard 2008 and speed fan, all give the same readings. Really begining to think that PC Probe's default warning of 60c is way to low for modern 3d games like Bioshock.

What RPM are you getting with stock fan?

Last edited:
PC Probe 2, I've tried pc wizard 2008 and speed fan, all give the same readings. Really begining to think that PC Probe's default warning of 60c is way to low for modern 3d games like Bioshock.

What RPM are you getting with stock fan?
At 64c i have 2586 RPM:santa:

Use RealTemp_2.60 it's more accurate for 45nm CPU's

Back