• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It's down to this...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vektor67

Registered
Well here goes the first boot *crosses fingers*. this is always very nerve wracking for me. My first hiccup is that the G.skill's heat spreaders are too tall for me to be able to use Fans on my Hyper Z 600 as coolermasters manual says a fan is to be used. Wish me luck here goes nothing...I always wish I still had my external temp monitors for these intial boots so I can unplug it quick in case there is a problem.

Thanks, so far so Good. The only real problem is that the Ram I ordered (G.Skill Cas5 2x2 DDR 1066) Has those high profile heat spreaders and because the HSF I ordered is so unimaginably large that I can't mount the 120mm fan exactly where it's supposed to be I have to offset it by about an inch which is very inefficient, Had I known that cooler was that large I may not have bought it. And if you even touch the fins the change color a bit and you can't really avoid touching them. so I can't send the cooler backk but I may see about returning the ram and getting something which fits better. Also I can say with confidence that this is the last PSU I get that isn't modular. Having to hide and deal with all those extra wires is kind of ridiculous. I ran orthos as an unofficial torture test/Burn in
at night and while I'm at work and it's stable @ stock so that much is good. i Can't wait untilI can get started Burning this system and and then overclocking, but everything in it's time. Thanks, Mike

If you are going to be returning I would put the Cooler in the box as well unless you got a good deal on it. At the newegg price you could have gone with a TRUE or Zerotherm for better performance. Or even a Xigamatek at half the price.

As for the ram, that is why I never recommend those, Reaper's. or Dominators. The huge heatsinks provide to much of a risk for clearance issues with no real benefit. Consider going with the PC8000 G.Skills. The performance is basically the same performance for a good bit less money.

Ah yes the non-modular PSU. The 520HX I have now is the first modular I have had and never will go back. They are just to darn convenient .

Back