• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alienware vs. Custom Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDawggS316

Hello all, I am currently doing some research on what my next build will be (and this will be my third one).

I've noticed that Alienware is getting a lot of attention, and, after looking at their specs, are producing machines I would build myself.

The thing is, their setup (i.e. sound dampening, liquid cooling CPU system, and overall architecture) is quite remarkable.

Would any of you recommend an Alienware over a third build?

*And for the sake of people asking, lets say money is no object.

You should be able to put together anything they can (and for a lot cheaper). Plus building it is half the fun.

Agreed. Buying all new parts and lining them up in the boxes is the best part of getting a new computer. Alienwares look cool and are pretty good, but your own build will really be your own.

sure its nice to have it all done but i can safely say that there water cooling will be a kit by one of the bigger companies since they are a big company. so it will be better, cheaper (or faster), and more fun to build yourself.

What attracted me the most about their systems is the wire management (which I'm not that great at at all and their sound dampening installation).

Hello all, I am currently doing some research on what my next build will be (and this will be my third one).

I've noticed that Alienware is getting a lot of attention, and, after looking at their specs, are producing machines I would build myself.

The thing is, their setup (i.e. sound dampening, liquid cooling CPU system, and overall architecture) is quite remarkable.

Would any of you recommend an Alienware over a third build?

*And for the sake of people asking, lets say money is no object.

Not IMO. Their cases are big bulky plastic-covered behemoths. I don't mind a big case but theirs is unnecessarily large. It's a standard full-tower ATX case, I believe steel. It's then covered in plastic panels on all sides and is just really cheap feeling with the plastic. The case is damn heavy too (and I've gotten used to my rig... the case alone is 11kg in addition to parts and watercooling, and my WC setup adds quite a bit of weight, might I add). Their wiring is TOP notch, I will say. I've never seen a prebuild with such incredible wiring. That said, there really isn't anything special with their rigs besides their flashy cases (and that's not my style). They are HORRENDEOUSLY overpriced (which I know you said is of no bearing to your opinion), but I still wouldn't recommend it unless you don't know what you're doing inside a computer and don't want to take the couple hours it takes to build and get a custom computer running.

Not IMO. Their cases are big bulky plastic-covered behemoths. I don't mind a big case but theirs is unnecessarily large. It's a standard full-tower ATX case, I believe steel. It's then covered in plastic panels on all sides and is just really cheap feeling with the plastic. The case is damn heavy too (and I've gotten used to my rig... the case alone is 11kg in addition to parts and watercooling, and my WC setup adds quite a bit of weight, might I add). Their wiring is TOP notch, I will say. I've never seen a prebuild with such incredible wiring. That said, there really isn't anything special with their rigs besides their flashy cases (and that's not my style). They are HORRENDEOUSLY overpriced (which I know you said is of no bearing to your opinion), but I still wouldn't recommend it unless you don't know what you're doing inside a computer and don't want to take the couple hours it takes to build and get a custom computer running.

I remember years ago when I was debating about building my first computer. Building it myself was $500, Alienware with the same specs: $1300.

I would build hands down.

The only one I've dealt with personally is a laptop...and it wasfalling apart after a year of light usage.

the only reasons to buy a name brand system is if you don't want:

1. to learn to do it your self if you don't know how
2. don't want to the hassle of trouble shooting if something goes wrong and returning parts
3. DO want a computer built and delivered to your door ready to use and has warrenty if something goes wrong

Some people have better things to do with their time then build, others love the feeling and joy of doing it themselves.. like any company, you payout the nose for the added services they offer (support, operating system, configurations "custom" parts that are nothing more then rebadged off the shelf crap)

Sorry for posting the same again, but I felt this needed some clarification. I felt that Alienware was the end all before this year as well. I started browsing the net and came across this site and learned about overclocking and all it's advantages. I built my first computer(the one in my sig), in March, and realized that Alienware couldn't touch my computer. My total cost was around a mere $700! I'll never buy a prebuilt computer again. It seems like a daunting task at first, and there is a learning curve, but once you are done, you simply cannot beat the feeling of accomplishment you'll have when looking back and no computer manufacturer like Alienware will ever be able to match it, especially price/performance.

I would definitely build instead of buying an overpriced "boutique" system. If money is no object, then build it yourself with top quality components and the money saved by building your own can be invested in better quality parts, such as a Core 2 Extreme and upgraded video and storage and a much better case than that frankly cheesy thing (IMO) they throw their parts into. And anyways, all Alienware is nowadays is a division of Dell. You can also build a better watercooling loop than what AlienDell will install in that setup too. I figure their acoustic dampening is mostly BS anyways. Did you look at the psu picture they show with their most advanced system? The damn thing uses an 80mm fricken fan! And they are bragging about noise reduction? You could watercool the cpu and vid cards and nb too, so you wouldn't have to worry about sound dampening material. I just played around with their best system and ran the price up to $6300+ bucks. For that money you could build a skulltrail rig.

Last edited:
I looked at those alienware specs and god you can build ALOT better computer for what there selling them for!!!!!!

If you are going to buy a custom setup I would lean more towards the Voodoo ones. Those guys are amazing.

I have bought Alienware before but only laptops. Desktops I build myself and have yet to regret it.

About 7 years ago I built my first system, and i have never looked back. I have since done repair work on Compaqs, Dells, HPs, Gateways, etc. for others. I never plan on buying a prebuilt system again, much less an Alienware. A friend of mine at work bought a very expensive Alienware about a year ago and has had to send it in multiple times over to have just about every component replaced on the comp.

If you are willing to do some research and spend a little time cherry picking your parts and configuration, you can built a system that is far better than what you would buy. Plus, that way you know exactly what parts are in your system, and you can be assured that you are using quality name components, to include the watercooling. The watercooling that you would build would be much, much better than what they will offer.

Also realize that most MBs come standard with a 3 yr warranty, many good PSUs have a 5 yr warranty, RAM is usually lifetime, retail CPUs are 3 yrs, etc. There are no extra fees for extended warranties with a custom rig. Also, you can upgrade parts whenever you want with a custom rig and still retain the warranties on the other components.

I will never buy a pre-built system again, unless it's to harvest it for cheap parts.

Build your own, that's half the fun of getting a new PC.

Back