• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ebay - No More Money Order or Personal Check Transactions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jiggamanjb

EBay also plans to move nearly all transactions to electronic payment methods. Beginning in the U.S. in mid-October, users will have to pay by credit card, PayPal or the credit card processing service ProPay. No more cash, checks or money orders - which account for less than 10 percent of eBay transactions these days - unless sellers and buyers meet in person.

What do you guys think? I think it's pretty stupid. Here is a funny quote I found:

Remember when Sears was King of retail ?
Remember downtown shopping ?
Remember Ebay?
confused.gif

So they want to add more fees by using paypal on top of the fees they take from the final value of the ebay auction? It sucks that yahoo auctions doesn't exist in the U.S. anymore. While it was rare for me to have someone pay by personal check or money order, I gladly accepted it as payment for my items.

If I ever buy anything ever again on ebay, I surely won't be using paypal; I just cancelled my pp account, after having used it for 8 years.

I had an ebay sale go horribly wrong & got burned....long story. :rolleyes:

Yup, since EBay owns PayPal of course they want to do that..

even at less then %10 of transactions i am sure that adds up to a hell lot of money going back and forth! and with how ebay handles fraud i would rather get a money order for something and ship on clearance.

i can see alot of PM's - curious how Ebay will stop this specifically - i cna PM and person and say hey i will send a money order, clears you ship, what ever

I've been using google checkout to recieve my payments lately and I've been loving it. I would just like the next great selling website to offer any sort of payment and maybe stick you on the final value fee or something. I always hated being a slave to whatever Ebay told me on what sort of payment I can recieve.

I've used a money order once, and got burned. I filed a dispute against the seller, but didn't get my money back. It was under $20, so it wasn't a too big deal for me. I'm guessing ebay has noticed an influx of such disputes, and decided to get rid of checks and money orders. Not a bad idea IMO.

Like someone said, sounds like ebay wants a bigger bite of the funds as fees doing this. I hope someone brings them to court like they did in Australia when AUS ebay tried to stop any payments besides Paypal.

I am just thankful that I have my local Craigslist and Ocforums classifieds. Without those two, I might be forced to actually shop on ebay!

eBay has taken a turn for the worse IMO and it all started when they stopped allowing sellers to leave negative feedback on a buyer.

Since they made that rule I have done very little selling on eBay. Not that I am worried about it I just don't like their actions anymore and really don't like this.

i can see alot of PM's - curious how Ebay will stop this specifically - i cna PM and person and say hey i will send a money order, clears you ship, what ever

Because if they enforce this new policy, eBay will not let you purchase the item until you enter your paypal account/password and confirm the payment. This is already in place with the paypal only type payment on auctions.

The only way it would work is if there was a mutual agreement, and the guy took his auction off in blind trust that you will send a money order that would clear. If I were the seller I would delete the shady request.

even at less then %10 of transactions i am sure that adds up to a hell lot of money going back and forth! and with how ebay handles fraud i would rather get a money order for something and ship on clearance.
Some items, Paypal won't allow you to use their service for payment (downloadables among other things). So does this mean that said items will be banned from ebay?

I've always required money orders when selling computer gear there and have had no issues.

*sigh* Time to get cracking on my own site's for-sale page I guess...

What do you guys think? I think it's pretty stupid. Here is a funny quote I found:

I haven't seen the Ebay announcement, but I can say for sure, that this might not become policy since it's anti competitive and US regulators probably will not allow this. Paypal's competitors will surely protest.

I've only bought one thing on Ebay that wasn't paypal and I was REALLY paranoid that I was going to get ripped off. IT worked out great with that seller though. I wouldhelp reduce SOME fraud, but Paypal dosn't really back up thier garuintree like they say they do, so thre're really no gain of rthe buyuers.
I also agree that positive ONLY feedback is BS. If the buyer buggerd the sale others should know.
The feedback should be anonymous though.
Give the seller a 'group score' and not so much individual resonse. Change that to more of like a forums: Complaints/Comments, which could also bne used for conflict resolution.

I think its great! Then maybe I can buy stuff from OCforums... This no CC stuff is for the birds... Makes to sense to me... Its still money, and you STILL get PAID! At least Ebay/paypal will enforce it now.... Thank goodness.

I haven't seen the Ebay announcement, but I can say for sure, that this might not become policy since it's anti competitive and US regulators probably will not allow this. Paypal's competitors will surely protest.

Here it is. They are going to stop the high priced shipping so they get more money on the final value fee also.

<H1>Changes: Why/What
Starting this fall, we’re making some dramatic improvements that will make eBay more competitive, easier to use and safer. Our goal: to be the most competitive marketplace online for sellers and the best place for buyers to find bargains. Here’s a summary:
eBay supports sellers with 70 percent reduction in fixed price listing fee.

• Starting Sept. 16, we are dramatically reducing up-front risk for sellers of Buy It Now™ fixed price items by lowering our listing (insertion) fee to 35 cents – our most competitive pricing ever. For more information on Basic Fee Changes, please click here.
  • Listing duration for Buy It Now™ fixed price items will be extended to 30 days (up from seven), saving sellers time and money.
  • In the extremely competitive media categories (books, movies, music, games), we are further lowering listing fees on Buy It Now™ fixed priced items to 15 cents (5 cents for catalog-based listings).
  • We are shifting fees to the back end with final value fees, which sellers only pay if they’re successful. However, we are reducing final value fees for consumer electronics, cameras and computers, which are among the most competitive categories on the web.
Buyers will find more bargains faster through a streamlined shopping experience and improved search.

• Starting Sept. 16, buyers will be able to spot bargains faster through our improved search function that serves up auctions and fixed-price items in a streamlined view.
  • “Ending soonest” remains a key factor in search results for auctions items. So if a seller’s item is in auction format, the item will at some point come up in search results. In Best Match – eBay’s default sort method – there are many different weights which determine the sort order. On fixed-price items the most important determinants are DSRs and item relevance.
We’re encouraging sellers to offer free or reasonable shipping.

• To lower shipping costs across the site we’re establishing reasonable shipping & handling limits in one of our biggest categories — media (books, movies, music & video games). This means that sellers must offer one domestic shipping option that’s under the limit or opt to use the eBay shipping calculator.
  • This holiday season, eBay is also providing incentives to offer free shipping, including increased exposure in search and other discounts. PowerSellers can receive double their final value fee discounts — up to a 40 percent savings on their final value fees.
Paying on eBay will be faster and more reliable than ever.

• Starting this fall, we’re moving to a fully electronic checkout process that’s faster and more reliable for buyers and sellers. As part of this move, checks and money orders will no longer be accepted on eBay as of October 2008, although buyers can still use these payment methods for item pick-up, at the seller’s discretion.
  • It’s clear why we need to make this change. Today, items paid with check or money order are 80 percent more likely to result in a customer complaint than those paid with credit card or PayPal. Also, buyers who pay with check or money order are twice as likely to leave negative feedback than those who pay with electronic methods. So starting in late October 2008, we are moving to 100 percent electronic payments.
  • This means that sellers will still be able to offer credit card payments through their own merchant accounts, and payments through ProPay and/or PayPal, with all payment methods integrated into the checkout process on eBay. And remember, for those buyers and sellers who use PayPal, we’re backing every transaction with our buyer and seller guarantee.
How these changes will affect buyers?

How these changes will affect sellers?
</H1>

Back