• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

External Water Cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDawggS316

Is there any GOOD external water cooling setups out there such as the Zalman Reserator 2 or Reserator XT?

I'm not that talented when it comes to modding my own setup (for this is my third build and the previous two were sent to the repair shop before I could even get 'em booted up).

Thanks all :bang head

Best bet would be to mount a normal radiator externally on the swiftech rad box. It's a simple bolt on affair to and 80 or 120mm rear fan port.

**edited, link added

There is NO external kit that is nearly as effective as a kit made of quality parts. The Reserator looks pretty but for the cost it's really way overpriced and much less effective.

If your case can't hold an inside rad, please take the time to google your case modle and the word watercool. Also read in the 'post your rigs forum' here and at xtreme forums.

Take your time reading, you might find the perfect system like yours and a build log even. Mounting it off the back is a very common, pretty easy thing to do.

http://www.externalpccooling.net/Page6.html

Check this out. This is a custom made external cooling system. You supply waterblocks and distilled water. Very minimal modding to case required (my case already had holes for tubing).

I have been using one for a few months. I have a 110w socket 939 toldeo core x2 4400. TCaseMax of 61c, TDP 95.0 Watts
I have a 24/7 oc of 2860 with no volts added by me (cpu in bios set at 1.35,cpuz shows my board overvolts by +4 to +6 depending on idle or load). Can go a bit higher with a bump or 3 to cpu voltage.
At this moment, I have a room temp of 30c and my cores by core temp are running 42-46c under 100% load (I crunch for WCG,2 to 4c higher when i use orthos large ffts for stability testing). For me this overclock on air at this room temp would not have been a good thing temp wise. I have not used less than the 10 ft of tubing the unit was shipped with. I could probably cut my temps a bit using less tubing from what I have been told. Installation was easy even for a wc noob like me. And as a bonus, this unit is so quiet, if not for the bling on the unit (lights and such and it does look good), I wouldn't know that it is running.

The other point I would make, Seth (the guy who invented/custom builds your unit) is one hell of a nice guy. He was available for questions and advice by e-mail and even by phone.

The price, well Seth can give you a rundown on that as he has 2 unit types to choose from. I will tell you that if you look at prices for the quality components used and shipping, it would seem that he doesn't make much off each unit.

Jim

The waterkeg is awesome! I didn't know he was back, he quit for a while. He's a home builder and does it in his spare time. He does it right, very good quality from all the users I know. I almost got one, they are TOP notch. Unfortunately they are $500 when I checked. You still need to add a waterblock.

A top notch rad, pump, hose, bling lights etc for a case install will set you back $270 max. He has to make the metal etc and your paying the extra $130+ for his uber skillz.

Add in the self-sealing quick disconnects you'll probably want from McCarr at $9 x 4 and it adds up fast. And they will impact your flow rate.

Nice stuff tho, very cool, and it has WAYYY above any Zalman Reserator for pure heat pulling capability. And he can customize I think for a cheaper rad etc, but thats so non-OC talk.

Yea, for a CPU loop it's pretty darn good. the CPU block is a bit outdated and peeps running a Quad at high OC have had to replace the block to get better temps. Ya know, for the price, and a first WC setup it's pretty good tho. Have fun, post pics!

Back