• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stop screen/Blue Screen of Death

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jtr3030

Registered
I've gotten two blue screens recently and I can't figure out why.

It happened, both times, when I was playing a hi-def movie with Media Player Classic.

System:

abit IP35 Pro mobo
Intel E8400 cpu
EVGA 8800GT gpu
Scythe Ninja heatsink
Corsair HX520 psu
8GB Corsair RAM
Vista 32-bit SP1

I've tested the memory and it seems fine, as do my hard drives. I've remounted the heatsink on the CPU.

Should I try updating the BIOS on the motherboard, since there are known problems with my cpu and mobo? Would that help? The only know problems are with temperature reading, and a BIOS update is said to fix them.

I had Windows check for a solution and it said there was most likely a hardware problem - RAM, CPU, power supply, or motherboard. I was hesitating to update the BIOS, but if it's a temp. problem with CPU, then I don't have much of a choice.

Here's what was in the pop-up window after I rebooted Windows:

"Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 00000000
BCP2: 87B30020
BCP3: B2000040
BCP4: 00000800
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini082208-02.dmp
C:\Users\James Travis Rolko\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-74796-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\James Travis Rolko\AppData\Local\Temp\WER5FFD.tmp.version.txt

Read our privacy statement:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...3&clcid=0x0409"

Please help.

Last edited:
If there are known problems that are fixed with a BIOS update then update to the latest stable (that means non-beta) BIOS. You should be able to burn it to a CD and flash it from that. Just follow the given instructions and it should go fine ..

If you can make your dmp files (in C:\Windows\Minidump) available (upload or email them), I can analyze them with windbg. I can't always figure out the problem, but usually have success more often than not. Let me know; send me a PM or just post a link when you can.

I'm not a total expert with windbg, but I've analyzed lots of files and usually they point to something specific (a certain driver etc). However yours just said 'probably caused by hardware'. Pretty generic to say the least.

I would agree with what the other people have said... I would suspect a possible temperature problem, or update that BIOS as you mentioned.

Btw have you monitored your cpu and gpu's temps? If so are they within a safe range?

Back