• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please Help me trouble shoot this HD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cozmo_d

This is the drive: WD Caviar WD2500JB

Link to WD site & Drive info
http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=931

This is what HD-Tune Reports
HDTune_Benchmark_WDC_WD2500JB-00GVC.jpg

The Specs for the drive from WD site are...
Data Transfer Rate (maximum) - Buffer to Host
100 MB/s (Mode 5 Ultra ATA)
66.6 MB/s (Mode 4 Ultra ATA)
33.3 MB/s (Mode 2 Ultra ATA)
16.6 MB/s (Mode 4 PIO)
16.6 MB/s (Mode 2 multi-word DMA)

It seems to me that its set to PIO or MULTIwordDMA?

Ive went through the device manager to try & locate the area where you force set the ultra ata mode, I remember a few years ago I had found some settings in the device manager but now I cant seem to find them, that was on a totally different box tho...

Can anyone help me to get this hd up to speed?
Its in a nice external case connected via USB, the external case maker claims it can support 480mbs usb2.0/1.0

looks like you need to enable high speed usb in the bios...

usb externals are slow.... no matter how fast they run...but you should get about 35mb sec..

you cant set modes on a usb drive like UDMA i don't think...

Attachments

• HDTune_Benchmark_SEAGATE_ST3250823A.png
    HDTune_Benchmark_SEAGATE_ST3250823A.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 60
To select UDMA speed go into the Device Manager under IDE/ATAPI Drives and select the Primary or Secondary controller(whatever the drive happens to be on) and there'll be an Advanced tab to select the drive speed. If it's already on Autodetect and isn't UDMA5, uninstall that controller within the manager and it'll reinstall upon reboot and should then be running your drive at the correct speed. If not, or even first, check the BIOS and make sure you're configured to UDMA speeds.

ELVISCERATOR is right

thx tuskenraider I found it but the device is not listed under IDE/ATAPI only my dvdburner & cdrom are...

I did find the device here after a bit.

ahciandusb.jpg

yikes edited for sanity sake

thanks for the help!!!

Last edited:
ELVISCERATOR is right

thx tuskenraider I found it but the device is not listed under IDE/ATAPI only my dvdburner & cdrom are...
Oopsy, missed that the drive was in an external case. Also, 100MB/s mode is theoretical and no PATA drives made could surpass that anyway. The newer SATA are surpassing that now. Additionally, don't confuse 480Mbits with MB/s, which for USB2.0 comes to 60MB/s.

Back