• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

please point me in a direction

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orthomofo

Registered
Can anyone give me advice on which HD brand to go with and what specs to look for?

i was thinking about the black caviar 1Tb x 2 in mirror. what i've read i like but does anyone know of where i can find good reviews of multiple HD comparisons because so far what i'm finding on the web isn't very useful. I'd like to have an educated decision before i buy my HD, but so far i feel i've got little to base my opinion on. i feel as though i am not looking in the right spot

cheers

Can anyone give me advice on which HD brand to go with and what specs to look for?

i was thinking about the black caviar 1Tb x 2 in mirror. what i've read i like but does anyone know of where i can find good reviews of multiple HD comparisons because so far what i'm finding on the web isn't very useful. I'd like to have an educated decision before i buy my HD, but so far i feel i've got little to base my opinion on. i feel as though i am not looking in the right spot

cheers

For specs, can you describe your uses?

To be honest, most of my HD purchases have been with well-known companies like Western or Seagate. I'm also not terribly picky about RPMs and the such, so overall, HDs is one of the things I buy without running to the reviews.

Is there really such variance in quality among the big brands in HD that we need to be worried about reviews?

I've heard that seagate is terribly slow. Not sure. For the os, install it on solid state drive. It should drastically improve boot times, if that's what you want. Otherwise, get a western digital velocity and raid 0 it + intel matrix.

cheers
Well it's not unusual to have a hard time finding comparisons between the most recently released hard drives, but when a good drive is discovered, the news travels pretty fast. Right now the WD 640GB AAKS drive is getting great reviews as well as the VelociRaptor if you want ultimate speed regardless of price. Storagereview.com and Anandtech.com are a good source for hard drive reviews/info.

I've had excellent reliability and speed from Seagate's and WD's both at work and home.

Depends on your budget:
SSD, Raptor, SATA-II storage drive, RAID 0 for speed, RAID 1 for backup, RAID 5 for both.

What are your space and usage requirements?

i plan on installing vista 64

my uses will of course be gaming, ppt, web design and STORAGE!

my wife and i do a lot of digital photography and we are planning on getting a HD vid cam too. that's the reason i was think raid 1

also, i'm concerned about keeping my main sys clean and bug free. i was thinking of getting a small external sata drive and installing another version of vista and basically swap it in and out when i am less concerned about websites i visit. any thoughts of running two independent drives on one sys depending which i boot up?

Solid state drives? haven't given them much thought. are the speeds that much better? any recommendations? what size would you think i would need for the main os drive? if i went that way with a solid state os drive, i would only run my storage on 2 platter drives in raid 1.

Ignoring $, I would put

Windows + Apps on a WD 300GB Velociraptor
Storage on RAID 5 -> 4 1TB Seagates or WD SATA II drives

If not, RAID 1 -> 2 1TB Seagates or WD SATA II drives

As for a swap out drive for when you cruise questionable sites... just run your normal slew of protection apps and I'm sure you will be fine.

Remember, always backup your data on a regular basis!

i plan on installing vista 64

my uses will of course be gaming, ppt, web design and STORAGE!

my wife and i do a lot of digital photography and we are planning on getting a HD vid cam too. that's the reason i was think raid 1 Why? For a backup of important files? RAID1 isn't a backup, it's redundancy for keeping a vital system up and running. If you delete or corrupt a file in RAID1 you'll now have 2 missing or bad files and no backup. Protection and backup is a drive, internal or external design, kept safely out of the system when not in use. Just plug it in to incrementally back up files.
also, i'm concerned about keeping my main sys clean and bug free. i was thinking of getting a small external sata drive and installing another version of vista and basically swap it in and out when i am less concerned about websites i visit. any thoughts of running two independent drives on one sys depending which i boot up? Why not get a backup program like Acronis True Image and then you'll have a "fressh" backup stored on your data drive to restore when ever you feel like your system has been compromised. You can have mutliple backups as you add programs to your system and still consider it clean. Cheaper than another drive and has other useful features as well.
Solid state drives? haven't given them much thought. are the speeds that much better? any recommendations? what size would you think i would need for the main os drive? if i went that way with a solid state os drive, i would only run my storage on 2 platter drives in raid 1. SSD is still too expensive, too immature IMO. Most good drives now are naturally big in size so you can't help but waste space on them if you want to have a seperate OS/app/games and data drive. The 150GB VelociRaptor would be great as soon as it shows up for sale, which should be very soon or if you can afford it, get the 300GB model. The largest 2 platter drive you can get is the 640GB models by WD and now Seagate. WD has also just released a 3 platter 1TB drive based off the 640 drive which is considered a top performer.

tuskenraider

"Why? For a backup of important files? RAID1 isn't a backup, it's redundancy for keeping a vital system up and running. If you delete or corrupt a file in RAID1 you'll now have 2 missing or bad files and no backup. Protection and backup is a drive, internal or external design, kept safely out of the system when not in use. Just plug it in to incrementally back up files."

now, i'm confused. when i read the official raid sticky and the links i thought raid 0 was for speed and raid 1 is for backup, and raid 5 is both. but you're telling me know? i was under the impression the second hdd mirrors the first and is an easy means of keeping a backup so i won't have to manually back up my drive.

please clarify?

now, i'm confused. when i read the official raid sticky and the links i thought raid 0 was for speed and raid 1 is for backup, and raid 5 is both. but you're telling me know? i was under the impression the second hdd mirrors the first and is an easy means of keeping a backup so i won't have to manually back up my drive.

please clarify?
RAID1 is only a backup in the sense that if only one of the two hard drives fail, you have the other to run off of or get your data from until you get a replacement for the bad drive. If that's good enough for you, fine, but if anything bad should happen to a file in RAID1, you now two instances of that bad, deleted, corrupted, etc. file. If a PSU shorts and takes out your drives, no more backup. You're actually better off running two drives seperately in the same PC and keeping the exact same files on each than allowing them to mirror because if you mess up one, the other isn't simultaneously subjected to the same error.

RAID1 is only a backup in the sense that if only one of the two hard drives fail, you have the other to run off of ...You're actually better off running two drives seperately in the same PC and keeping the exact same files on each than allowing them to mirror because if you mess up one, the other isn't simultaneously subjected to the same error.

so...?? :confused:

how do i mirror a drive with 'failsafe' backup. the data i'm looking to store isn't going to cause satellites to crash, but it will hurt to lose. will that program you suggested (Acronis True Image ) provide me with a safe, convenient means of backing up data. And will it require a seperate, equally sized hdd like RAID 1?

originally i was only looking to protect against physical catastrophy of one of the 2 drives. now, you've got me thinking i should look for greater security. but to be honest i was hoping for an easier way then manually duplicating all my files to seperate drives.

looked at the website and not sure, but looks like i won't need a 2nd hdd. but what if the drive dies? and can i use this in raid 1 for added measures?

so, tell me if i got this right?

RAID 1 ... protects against physical damage to 1 drive. if both, then done. data lost
Acronis True Image ... protest more against software corruption, virus, and outside influences. but if physical damage to hdd, then done. data lost

but if the powers combine, do i get voltron? just kidding. because, now i think i should set things up to protect against both problems. seriously dude, you're being a huge help, because i completely missed this when i was reading.

Last edited:
so...?? :confused:

how do i mirror a drive with 'failsafe' backup. the data i'm looking to store isn't going to cause satellites to crash, but it will hurt to lose. will that program you suggested (Acronis True Image ) provide me with a safe, convenient means of backing up data. And will it require a seperate, equally sized hdd like RAID 1? With Acronis you can schedule backups of data on one drive to another and it doesn't have to be the same size, just large enough, or larger even, to hold the data. To be "failsafe" would best be done with an external drive so it can be removed from the PC so there can be no simultaneous damage. Or to confuse you with even more options, to another PC's hard drive over a network if you happen to have one at home, but you'd have to look into Acronis' features to see if that's doable.

originally i was only looking to protect against physical catastrophy of one of the 2 drives. now, you've got me thinking i should look for greater security. but to be honest i was hoping for an easier way then manually duplicating all my files to seperate drives. Well I almost lost a lot of valuable pictures by not having backups so I can understand their importance. You want it simple, which it will be once you decide a course of action. The research for the best option for you is the hard part.
looked at the website and not sure, but looks like i won't need a 2nd hdd. but what if the drive dies? and can i use this in raid 1 for added measures? Right, you certainly don't need another hard drive to backup files, but if the drive dies, files all gone. You definately could make a backup of a drive or files on a drive that is in RAID1, but now you need 3 drives instead of 2 to get to that failsafe point.

so, tell me if i got this right?

RAID 1 ... protects against physical damage to 1 drive. if both, then done. data lost Yep
Acronis True Image ... protest more against software corruption, virus, and outside influences. but if physical damage to hdd, then done. data lost Yes, if the data and the backup are on one drive. If they are on seperate drives, you either have the backup to restore to a new drive, or if you lose the drive with the backup, you have the original drive still running to make a new backup.

but if the powers combine, do i get voltron? just kidding. because, now i think i should set things up to protect against both problems. seriously dude, you're being a huge help, because i completely missed this when i was reading. No problem. Voltron, lol. I always liked the 5 lions instead of the one made of those little space ships.

My advice is get Acronis, get an external drive, schedule the backup and plug it in the day the backup is to take place. To cover possible physical damage some manual action is going to have to take place to keep the drives seperated at all times beyond the backup taking place. Add the RAID1 if you have real concerns about your computer going down for a few hours until you could get a replacement drive, but I just don't see the need for a home PC. If it was some kind of server, sure. Hope this helps.

Back