• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do i update my BIOS? No A drive and can't boot USB.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crimson1566

I have no floppy drive and my bios doesn't have an option to boot from USB just cd-rom, floppy, ide, and sata. How do i update my bios?

If you have no floppy and no USB option in bios, then I would'nt chance it with the cdrom. Without a USB option, I would at least get a floppy drive. Hell yank one from an old pc as all floppy drives are the same and will work just fine.

Besides, where are you going to find a new bios for that Epox board? Epox folded ages ago and is no longer in business. You'll be lucky to find the last bios file for that board.

Btw, you posted this in the wrong section if it's for your Epox (AMD). Pm a mod and ask them to move it for you.

lol, i gotta update my sig. it's for a ASUS p5q pro

Ahh, well in that case go with the floppy drive method. I'm surprised a new mobo like the P5Q doesn't have a USB boot option in bios.

There's a windows app to update the bios, but I would'nt recommend it as it's prone to fail and fubar your board.

Does the Pro version not have the Bios update from bios like the Deluxe? Is there not an option on the post screen that says to pust Alt/F2 for the Easy updater?

what is wrong with using a cd drive, just means you cant backup the old bios to it, otherwise it is just as reliable..

Also, does your board not work? are you having problems?

You should have the USB support under Advanced...

Legacy USB Support: Enabled

(That is your USB drive BIOS option)

reboot...after BIOS resets...turn off the system...install the USB drive...turn the system back on and during BIOS load...hit F8 to bring up the load menu...the USB drive should show up in the boot menu...highlight the drive and hit enter....

enable ezflash in bios reboot with flash drive and bios in it bingo
Exactly, you don't have to create anything. Just drop the rom file on the flash drive and start the ezflash option. I just did this last night with my board...no issues.

thanks for the info, i ended up using ez flash with a floppy(i pulled it out of an old computer)

I updated my bios in windows using some prorgam dfi recommended(Forgot the name) All worked fine. Easy and you won't have to pull a old floppy drive again :p

Thumb drives appear under Hard Drives in Boot Options on this board, place it first in the boot order and you're good to go ;)

Booting to the flash drive is not necessary with EZ-Flash. All you need on the flash drive is the .rom file. EZ-Flash is built into the bios and reads the .rom off the flash drive. Pretty slick, Asus :beer:

Back