• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any Linux distros that use 1024x768 in installation?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Essenar

I tried to install Ubuntu on my Machine and the resolution doesn't register with my HDTV.

My HDTV can display 1024x768 and even 1280x1024 and even 640x480 from the 4:3 resolutions, but after Linux loads the kernel during installation and goes to GUI mode, my screen just goes black and says "Invalid Format".

Is there anyway I can modify the resolution of my distribution before burning it to disk so I can actually install Linux? I'm trying to triple boot XP, Ubuntu and something else. Linux is going to be my fun-system and it's beneficial to have it if anything, just so I can have Linux's boot loader, which surpasses anything Microsoft can come up with.

I tried to install Ubuntu on my Machine and the resolution doesn't register with my HDTV.

My HDTV can display 1024x768 and even 1280x1024 and even 640x480 from the 4:3 resolutions, but after Linux loads the kernel during installation and goes to GUI mode, my screen just goes black and says "Invalid Format".

Is there anyway I can modify the resolution of my distribution before burning it to disk so I can actually install Linux? I'm trying to triple boot XP, Ubuntu and something else. Linux is going to be my fun-system and it's beneficial to have it if anything, just so I can have Linux's boot loader, which surpasses anything Microsoft can come up with.

have you tried downloading an alternate ubuntu cd that isn't a livecd/install cd combined?

http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download
(check the box below the start download button that says "Check here if you need the alternate desktop CD. This CD does not include the Live CD, instead it uses a text-based installer." )

I would also tell it to boot in safe graphics mode.
Vesa drivers should fix that problem right up for you

Nothing you guys suggested solved the problem guys. I can't install Wesa drivers if I can't even load the OS.
When I pick Safe Graphic Mode, it still refreshes after loading Linux and then goes dark. Invalid format. I have no idea what resolution it's using, but my LG doesn't like it.
My LG can use : 1280x1024, 1024x768, 1360x768, 1164x6something and even 640x480. Some resolutions it just won't take though and this is one of them.

If you look on the bottom prior to sending it to install or boot live off the disc. You will see a list of functions available to you.

Most Debian based, for the resolution, it is the F4 key. Then select what res you want. :D

Nothing you guys suggested solved the problem guys. I can't install Wesa drivers if I can't even load the OS.
When I pick Safe Graphic Mode, it still refreshes after loading Linux and then goes dark. Invalid format. I have no idea what resolution it's using, but my LG doesn't like it.
My LG can use : 1280x1024, 1024x768, 1360x768, 1164x6something and even 640x480. Some resolutions it just won't take though and this is one of them.

First of all its Vesa not Wesa ;)
Which version of linux are you using? If Ubuntu use the alternative install as suggested above. The safe graphics should have worked but I have had the odd computer that just didnt like it. It could be the installation cd as well. We have Ubuntu disks at work that seemed to be fine as they installed well on a few computers. Get to one of the last ones and it just wouldnt go. Redownloaded and reburned the image and away she went

First of all its Vesa not Wesa ;)
Which version of linux are you using? If Ubuntu use the alternative install as suggested above. The safe graphics should have worked but I have had the odd computer that just didnt like it. It could be the installation cd as well. We have Ubuntu disks at work that seemed to be fine as they installed well on a few computers. Get to one of the last ones and it just wouldnt go. Redownloaded and reburned the image and away she went

i believe the alternative install cd just uses pure command line (without any switches for a "fancy" cli) which should work when nothing else does. the only thing i could think of that would cause your tv to not work properly would be a refresh rate, but i have never seen a problem like that before.

With an Ubuntu install disc. It should have an option to check disc integrity on it. Or you can do a MD5SUM check prior to attempting any install or use.

To check the iso prior to burning it is as simple as:

md5sum /path/to/disc.iso

Then cross check the output against the known sum. If you used torrent, it selfchecks as it comes in.

On the minimal install disc.. Use this
Code:
md5sum -c md5sum.txt | grep -v 'OK$'
Forcing the resolution can help a lot of issues on wonky cards and monitors. You can add custom preinstall switches if your having issues with the monitor settings. Even in the minimal GUI install disc.
https://help.ubuntu.com/7.04/installation-guide/hppa/boot-parms.html

Last edited:
i believe the alternative install cd just uses pure command line (without any switches for a "fancy" cli) which should work when nothing else does. the only thing i could think of that would cause your tv to not work properly would be a refresh rate, but i have never seen a problem like that before.

No, its actually not CLI. Its similar to the kernel config menu in gentoo. It could be the tv but I also use a TV as my monitor for a couple of them and I didnt run into that problem, but its most likely not the same brand

No, its actually not CLI. Its similar to the kernel config menu in gentoo. It could be the tv but I also use a TV as my monitor for a couple of them and I didnt run into that problem, but its most likely not the same brand

i believe we are talking about the same thing. i just wasn't using the right words to describe it. what i was meaning to say was that it doesn't use a framebuffer in the alternative install either. if i remember, it looks like the non-graphical debian install (at least from the last time i installed debian) which looks like the screenshots on this page:

http://www.go2linux.org/debian-etch-installation-screenshots

if i remember, it looks like the non-graphical debian install (at least from the last time i installed debian)

Ubuntu is taken from snapshots of Debian. 7.10 is actually Lenny/Testing. So when you get past the tweaks Ubuntu makes, or go below it. You get to the Debian part. Just about any tricks Debian would use, would be applicable in the minimal GUI install.
:D

Back