• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SP2 vs SP3 and Is wuauclt.exe needed??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

First off, I have XP Pro SP2, should I update to SP3? If so why, meaning what is significant in the new update.

Second, I was at Microsoft's update page and about to update, when it said I needed some new software because I could update. I decided to wait. I wonder if that caused me to see wuauclt.exe Is it something that I need to have under the Windows Task Manager's, Processes tab? I don't see now, but I had seen it a few moments ago.

Thanks in advance.

wuauclt.exe is related to Windows update. I've installed SP3 on my only XP box. There's nothing in it you'll notice, but it's good to keep your machine fully updated so you don't end up with security vulnerabilities, or future incompatibilities.

No problems with SP3?

None at all. I didn't notice any change whatsoever when I installed it. I also installed it on a work machine, and the person that uses that box hasn't had any issues either, but I don't use that computer and can't personally comment.

Thanks...I guess I'll go with it, after I Ghost the OS partition.

Back