• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So many new mini laptops, let me know which one you think is best.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Caillech

Registered
between acer, hp, asus and a few more there appear to be some great mini laptops coming out with the intel atom processor and all those goodies. I'm in the market but not very educated on these types of computers. Is there anybody with ownership experience of any of these? pros and cons? thanks for your opinions!

i would wait a bit, september 21st intel is releasing a dual core intel atom!

Personally i think a 10inch screen dual core intel atom laptop, with 2gb of ram would be such a bitching laptop, currently i have an older sony ultraportable 10incher (pentium 3 mobile) and it does the job but its old and the battery is done. Personally i think of a laptop as something portable.... 13in screen or bigger does not fit that IMO and 10inch screen is like just right haha.

I'm after a similar machine. Small for travelling, WIFI. What sort price would you be paying for these machines?
Is there any advantage in one OS over the other (Windows, Linux etc) All I want is email, internet and some sort of office package.

Last edited:
tough to say, they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

I have the Aspire One and the Asus 1000. Asus is nice for what it is, it has wireless N/bluetooth, a larger keyboard, easier access to upgrading ram/hd. I don't like the keyboard that much, the right shift key is too far over and too small for my liking. Touchpad is innovative and neat. Overall, a very nice machine indeed.

The Aspire One is nice, keyboard is decent given the size of the unit. More of a pain to take apart, that's for sure. No bluetooth built in. Cheaper is the main thing about this unit but performance is good for the cost.

I just had a look at the Asus EEE 900 today. One on Linux Linpus Lite and another on Windows XP. Asus seem to supply the Windows version with a 12GB hard drive and the Linux version with a 20GB, does anyone know the reason behind supplying two different size drives? There was no CD/DVD drive fitted.
I liked the small size of the 900, I also saw the Aspire One which is a bit larger, I didn't look to closely but I think it was on XP.
One thing I forgot to ask was say I wanted to reinstall the OS, was it supplied on disk with the PC also how can you install it without a CD/DVD drive?

grs: you are going to need a USB drive. Or at least a USB->SATA/IDE converter. Vista can be installed from a flash drive but to my knowledge no one has been able to get XP to work. I have no clue on Linux.

nd4spdbh2: While I hope this isn't true I have heard from several places that those are only going to be for desktop systems and the mobile chips won't be available until early next year.

From what is out now the S10 is my preference. It is followed closely by the 1000H. Main difference is going to be that the S10 has the ability for WWAN and the 1000H has WIFI-N. Assuming the S10 has Lenovo's typical build quality it will be a more solid unit as well.

If you can live with a smaller screen the Acer One is an undistupet bargain. Linux for $329 or XP for $349 with a 3 cell battery and 120GB HD is hard to beat right now. XP, 6 cell, and 160GB for $399 isn't bad either.

one thing im not getting is the 10 inch screens offered on todays netbooks have crappy resolution... my sony ultra portable 10inch screen laptop has a rez of 1024x768 and its easily 6 yrs old...

that S10 tho is a mighty nice lookin lil laptop!

grs: you are going to need a USB drive. Or at least a USB->SATA/IDE converter. Vista can be installed from a flash drive but to my knowledge no one has been able to get XP to work. I have no clue on Linux.

nd4spdbh2: While I hope this isn't true I have heard from several places that those are only going to be for desktop systems and the mobile chips won't be available until early next year.

From what is out now the S10 is my preference. It is followed closely by the 1000H. Main difference is going to be that the S10 has the ability for WWAN and the 1000H has WIFI-N. Assuming the S10 has Lenovo's typical build quality it will be a more solid unit as well.

If you can live with a smaller screen the Acer One is an undistupet bargain. Linux for $329 or XP for $349 with a 3 cell battery and 120GB HD is hard to beat right now. XP, 6 cell, and 160GB for $399 isn't bad either.

I guess you know someone who has done XP from USB key now then. I followed this guide.

http://www.eeeguides.com/2007/11/installing-windows-xp-from-usb-thumb.html

My biggest thing with the Lenovo is that it only has 2 USB ports and I routinely use 3 but that may not matter to many.

I want a netbook, but for the cost, I would rather spend a bit more and buy a semi decent notebook instead.

Netbook prices need to come down a lot before they will get picked up more. Currently it is basically a first gen/early adopter type deal so there is a premium.

The mini note is nice if you like the look of aluminum, it is the only one AFAIK that has a metal shell rather then ABS. I got to play with one at work at one point.

I want a netbook, but for the cost, I would rather spend a bit more and buy a semi decent notebook instead.

Netbook prices need to come down a lot before they will get picked up more. Currently it is basically a first gen/early adopter type deal so there is a premium.

The mini note is nice if you like the look of aluminum, it is the only one AFAIK that has a metal shell rather then ABS. I got to play with one at work at one point.

I think it depends on what you want/expect from a netbook. I have 14.1" notebooks which are not that big but compared to lugging one of these little badboys around, it is a giant.

Yes, there is a premium attached, same reason that the Fujitsu 10/11" books are priced high, as are the Toshiba Portege line. It is a "niche" market, if you will, and the entry fee is higher than the average notebook entry fee for what you receive.

I just had a look at the Asus EEE 900 today. One on Linux Linpus Lite and another on Windows XP. Asus seem to supply the Windows version with a 12GB hard drive and the Linux version with a 20GB, does anyone know the reason behind supplying two different size drives?

They took the extra 8GB off to displace the cost of the XP licence, so they didn't have to make them have different prices. Linux = free after all. If you want to have the 20GB model and XP you can simply install it using the techniques already covered here.

Also... My .02 cents... just curious... I know the market is now being flooded with competition after everyone saw that the EEE was selling faster than hotcakes that cure cancer... But how many of them still have no moving parts like the EEE? thats gonna be a deciding factor for me... I know a lot of them use SSDs but I wanna know if they also have fans and stuff... cause this thing is gonna get knocked around... and partially cause i like it being uber quiet.

Back