• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

maximus 2 help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beast53

Registered
So I finally finished my setup with q9550, m2f, and 2x2gb ddr2 1066. I of course went right away to overclocking, and i was able to manage ~3.8 ghz at about 50 degrees max. However, the northbridge is the one having problems, it's idling at around 70-80. I tried removing the heatsink assembly, cleaning off the stock thermal compound, and added some OCZ Freeze. However, temps are still the same.

Any help? Thanks

Have you tightened down the screws enough .. I can't really do a comparision cause I replace the stock TIM on everyboard I get before use .. I get NB temps between 35-40°C and SB temps 40-50°C (thanks to my GX2) ..

Are you watercooling? If you are then you'll need to install the little fan that Asus supplies

I am not watercooling.

yes i have tightened the screws to the point that it feels like it's gonna crack. I've heard something about removing the rubber things on the nb heatsink that prevents them from
making contact?

when putting thermal compound on the nb, do you put it on the entire square, including the green part? or just the middle black part?

thanks

when putting thermal compound on the nb, do you put it on the entire square, including the green part? or just the middle black part?

thanks

No, just the die in the center. I had the exact same issue with my MF2. I actually had to add an extra washer behind the 2 screws securing the nb on the back of the mobo to get the pressure need for a proper seat. It cut my temps in half from high 70's stock down to mid 30's.

I took the 4 square pieces of foam under the nb heatsink, and it cut my temps to about 50-60. Do you think that adding the washers will help even more?

I took the 4 square pieces of foam under the nb heatsink, and it cut my temps to about 50-60. Do you think that adding the washers will help even more?

It may help a bit more, but there's always the slim chance of crushing the die. It depends if the extra 10c that you may or may not get is worth the slight risk of damaging the board.

It may help a bit more, but there's always the slim chance of crushing the die. It depends if the extra 10c that you may or may not get is worth the slight risk of damaging the board.

well right now im at stock settings, and 50-60 degrees for a nb still seems a bit high. pc probe sometimes gives me an overtemp warning when playing games.

EDIT: I took these off
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/5849/nbbf2.jpg

Last edited:
Back