• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Studying Design & Production: Macbook vs. All?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Essenar

I'm studying probably, lol... Five different majors in one.

My declared major is Graphic Design but it's going to be film production and dramatic script writing.

Should I get a Macbook?

For those of you that have a laptop, how much do you actually use it?

I'm worried I'll get it, spend $1500 on it and then it'll just sit there.

Are you going to be typing on it? Checking e-mail? Music? Videos? I doubt it would just sit there. I like my Macbook, and would certainly recommend to almost anyone. The keyboard is especially nice. What are you major uses?

Aside from the following: Internet browsing, music, photos, videos, chatting.

I'm studying web design so I do use Dreamweaver CS3 and I like to make my own layout media with Photoshop CS3.

I eventually want to do production from my computer. I want to cut clips, edit, add effects, filter and clean up. I'll eventually get a camera. And by camera I don't mean a camcorder but rather an actual production camera.

I play games, but I have my desktop for that and I'd be keeping the laptop strictly around me for my work and for taking with me to class.

I do type papers and as a writer I write scripts and storylines.

Aside from the following: Internet browsing, music, photos, videos, chatting.

I'm studying web design so I do use Dreamweaver CS3 and I like to make my own layout media with Photoshop CS3.

I eventually want to do production from my computer. I want to cut clips, edit, add effects, filter and clean up. I'll eventually get a camera. And by camera I don't mean a camcorder but rather an actual production camera.

I play games, but I have my desktop for that and I'd be keeping the laptop strictly around me for my work and for taking with me to class.

I do type papers and as a writer I write scripts and storylines.

Well it sounds like the Macbook would be the perfect addition to your college career. I know that my Macbook (with upgraded ram) could handle all of that, except for programs like Aperture or other Pro Apps.

EDIT: I have a Macbook Pro now, so I'm refering to my first gen Macbook with just the Core Duo. The new Macbooks are much faster.

Well, any laptop CAN do that, I don't see how the Macbook is inherently "better". They use the exact same hardware (processor/gpu) as other manufacturers.

Quality wise, they are decent (from what I've see, I don't own one. I've only taken a few completely apart), but I would much rather have my Lenovo T61.

My only argument would be that the software suite that comes with mac (iLife) is far superior to whatever crap that would come from a PC manufacturer like HP/Toshiba/Dell.

But really it comes down to whether you like the mac or the PC. I certainly don't want to go down that path.

My only argument would be that the software suite that comes with mac (iLife) is far superior to whatever crap that would come from a PC manufacturer like HP/Toshiba/Dell.
Very good point, I completely forgot about that!

Either way, I think the OP is going to be getting software that works on either. It comes down to what you want to spend and how you want to spend it (looks/performance/quality/etc).

I love my macbook pro.
My pc is much more powerful (see sig), but i only do 3d rendering, photoshop, and gaming on it.
Web, email, chat, music, downloads, music production, writing, are all done on my mac.

Unless your school uses specific applications that are Windows only, it is totally personal preference.
Any computer you buy is going to be able to run Office, Adobe CS3, check email, and surf the web, etc.

I started playing with Adobe Premiere and I had a blast using it, so now I really AM confused.

Here's the worst part:
I know as a gamer/OC'er, that Windows Vista is a fair weather thing and since it failed, I know MIcrosoft is just jumping ship to Windows 7.

Is it even worth it to invest into a computer that has Vista when I know in a year or two a new operating system will be out? I really don't like Vista over XP.

EDIT: Thideras, yeah I realize that. Since I know I can get the software I need on either platform, the bundled software isn't really an issue. Not to mention I don't care about malware/junkware that comes with it as I'll be freshly reinstalling whatever OS it comes with.

What it comes down to, is what gives me more for my money?

Apple: Better operating system, better build quality to a certain extent, most of the things I need are built in already to the computer. No viruses or spyware, I can install Windows XP on it with full hardware support.
Cons: Intel Accelerator X3100, limited hard drive space for the cost.

Windows machine: Can get dedicated video memory and a fully loaded hardware option for the cost of the Apple. Can game on it. More compatibility on the fly with DirectX10 applications and gaming.
Cons: It's Windows Vista, would cost me $100-200 more than the Apple to get the same processor (2.4ghz Core 2 Duo).

With Apple, I can get a huge discount at work (Best Buy) if I buy an open box model, so I'd be spending roughly $950 after taxes for a Macbook 403 (2.4ghz, 2gb, 160gb hard drive). For $950 though, I can get a Dell XPS 15" with dedicated video memory, 250gb hard drive space and 1gb more ram, but it will only have a 2.16ghz Core 2 Duo, not the 2.4ghz the Apple comes with. And it'll be more after taxes.

This is really confusing. Maybe I should just get an Inspiron 1320 with 2ghz Core 2 Duo for $600.

Last edited:
I started playing with Adobe Premiere and I had a blast using it, so now I really AM confused.

Here's the worst part:
I know as a gamer/OC'er, that Windows Vista is a fair weather thing and since it failed, I know MIcrosoft is just jumping ship to Windows 7.

Is it even worth it to invest into a computer that has Vista when I know in a year or two a new operating system will be out? I really don't like Vista over XP.

EDIT: Thideras, yeah I realize that. Since I know I can get the software I need on either platform, the bundled software isn't really an issue. Not to mention I don't care about malware/junkware that comes with it as I'll be freshly reinstalling whatever OS it comes with.

Apple: Better operating system, better build quality to a certain extent, most of the things I need are built in already to the computer. No viruses or spyware, I can install Windows XP on it with full hardware support.

Windows machine: Can get dedicated video memory and a fully loaded hardware option for the cost of the Apple. Can game on it. More compatibility on the fly with DirectX10 applications and gaming.
Cons: It's Windows Vista, would cost me $100-200 more than the Apple to get the same processor (2.4ghz Core 2 Duo).

With Apple, I can get a huge discount at work (Best Buy) if I buy an open box model, so I'd be spending roughly $950 after taxes for a Macbook 403 (2.4ghz, 2gb, 160gb hard drive). For $950 though, I can get a Dell XPS 15" with dedicated video memory, 250gb hard drive space and 1gb more ram, but it will only have a 2.16ghz Core 2 Duo, not the 2.4ghz the Apple comes with. And it'll be more after taxes.

This is really confusing. Maybe I should just get an Inspiron 1320 with 2ghz Core 2 Duo for $600.

If I could get that Macbook for $950, I would jump on it. Having owned both the Macbook and the MBP, I can say that the performance for both are pretty neck and neck, the obvious difference being graphics. I don't game anymore, so it's not a problem for me. However, I do a ton of photo editing, and the MBP screen and extra ports (FW800 and Card slot) have been huge for me.

However, the Dell lineup just keeps getting cheaper. It's hard for me as a Mac lover to not look at those prices and let out a little whistle. Especially if you browse Dell outlet, you can find some real beef cakes for a song. I would love to have a quad core desktop for $500 bones, which is what is regularly on there.

I'm sure I'm not helping you, as I would be in the same boat if I was searching for a new computer. Good luck. Apple is supposedly releasing some updated Macbooks shortly though. Interesting times.

for the price of a macbook pro, you can get a really nice high end tablet lenovo. tablets are a big + to any graphics designer in my opionion.

graphics design i see no difference in performance with either pc or mac..although the graphics designer at my company uses a mac pro tower that cost ~$3000; quad core, 4gb ram, ati 2600 or something graphics.... with that price you can get a really high end pc with a really nice monitor...

also i use a macbook pro at work and pc at home...pc at home does gaming, macbook pro for everything else :D

Also, bear in mind that many (myself and several of my co-workers included) would argue that Final Cut Pro is generally better to work in than Premiere for video production. I have a couple buddies who do video production where I work and swear by it... I have others who like Premiere better. Personally, I felt Final Cut was a bit more intuitively designed. It felt smoother, and once I got the hang of it, I feel it was more efficient to work with. Just my $0.02.

Here's the worst part:

I honestly don't think you could go wrong with the Dell or the MacBook Pro. I think it's a preference thing. What environment do you like to work in more? How big a factor is gaming for you, in the grand scheme of things?

Also, bear in mind that many (myself and several of my co-workers included) would argue that Final Cut Pro is generally better to work in than Premiere for video production. I have a couple buddies who do video production where I work and swear by it... I have others who like Premiere better. Personally, I felt Final Cut was a bit more intuitively designed. It felt smoother, and once I got the hang of it, I feel it was more efficient to work with. Just my $0.02.

I honestly don't think you could go wrong with the Dell or the MacBook Pro. I think it's a preference thing. What environment do you like to work in more? How big a factor is gaming for you, in the grand scheme of things?

Gaming is like one of those things I know I won't miss if I didn't have it.

Here's the thing, my PC is pretty snappy for gaming. The other thing is, when I'm away from home studying, I don't need the distraction of gaming. It'd make it a much more tempting thing to pull me away from doing my work. I'd be a phone call away from CSS every 15 minutes. While I would get a dedicated video card on a Dell simply because of the $100 price cost, I wouldn't mind not having it on either machine and it would probably help my studying even more to not have it.

As far as study environment, I feel like my room is pretty crowded. I always have laundry on the floor, loose papers, gatorade/water bottles and change. No food, I'm pretty good about keeping that out of my room. The thing is, I still can't figure out if a laptop will even help me with studies or not. How essential is it? Aside from typing a paper, what use will it really have other than internet access when I'm studying? I figure that will be useful if I go to someone's apartment, but when I'm on campus, they have computers there that we can use.

I guess I could use a college student's perspective who owns a laptop/Macbook and a perspective of one who doesn't, but doesn't by CHOICE rather than not affording it.

I have honestly only used my laptop (that I specifically bought for portability: 13" & 4lb) in one class (out of about 13 thus far), which happened to be computer science (C++).

Today in a Thermodynamics class, the professor addressed a student using a laptop, and asked him to put it away. The student told the professor that he was using it to take notes, so the professor eventually allowed him to continue using it. Keep in mind the professor is in his later 30's, so he isn't exactly 'old', but is adhering to 'old school' note taking.

Will you have access to your desktop at night? I ask this, because I wish I had put together a powerful rig and bought a cheap cheap cheap laptop if I ever needed the portability.

Another option is to check with your future college's computing resources. On my campus, there is a program that allows you to borrow laptops. If I knew about that, I would have definitely built a desktop.

Back