• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

network help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dark bishop

im trying to set up a net work between two Linux computers and a xp computer, Ive got a linksys work group switch that im hoping i can share my internet connection through.

that's really all im trying to set up is a big internet sharing network so the other two boxes can get on.

my main computer has a linksys usb wireless antenna that i use to connect, im trying to share this with the other two through the work group switch if that makes any sense.

Im pretty much a noob at networking, but I do know that unless you have more than one IP, you will need a router....or some other way to assign IP's to the other computers...
Internet connection sharing I think will do it....but I'm a Linux noob also....so I don't know how to configure those boxes to connect thru the Windows box...

Sorry I could not help...but bump for someone who can..

Ok, since you are running Xubuntu, like you said in the folding section, give me a minute.

Are the two linux machine's hooked up via wireless or hard wire? Also can you give me the model # on your switch?

Thanks

I think these will be helpful:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Internet/ConnectionSharingDHCP3
(basic setup of whole router system)
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/dhcp3-server
(specifics about dhcp3 setup)
http://ubuntulinuxhowto.blogspot.com/2006/06/setup-your-computer-to-be-router.html
(another guide, from the web, I'd follow the ones from ubuntu first though)

Last edited:
the two linux machines are gonna use hardwire. linksys workgroup switch model # EG008W

thats not going to help, i dont have multiple network cards and im not trying to get the computer as the router.

Last edited:
the two linux machines are gonna use hardwire. model # EG008W

that last one isnt going to help, im not setting up the computer as a router, im setting it up as the connection source.

Well you need to have one computer act as a router, that way all the information is properly transmitted to were it needs to go. That or buy a cheap router, but having a machine second has a router is no big deal. Normally for security you'd want a completely separate machine dedicated to that, but it's possible to have a standard linux machine be your router, just make sure to keep up on security updates.

it cant act as a router because it only has the onboard ethernet connection. i get my internet through a USB antenna. i dont have any extra network cards.

It might be possible to use the USB wireless NIC and the hardwire card. It should be douable but I am not sure how. Other's should help you, or post in the Alt OS section...

If not, then pm me and I'll ship you a NIC, I have a few 100mb nics lying around.

Also It is easy to reshare over your windows machine by simply bridging the connections and I think that is what you were thinking and that could work if you manually set all the ip addresses and Mac addy's, but I wouldn't recommend it as it's not the safe and not reliable.

and i dont know how to do that stuff, well i know how but not what to put in, i think ill stick to the extra nics, i dont feel comfortable tearing apart my antenna.

im fairly sure its an ip problem because the linux box knows something is connected.

Back