• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows won't install.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrnuke

Alright, so i had vista x64 on my computer, but after some weird hang ups and freezing under load, I thought something may have happened to the hard drive or the integrity of the windows files, but first I boosted the voltage thinking it'd help with the stability. I test out the HD with a few different tools and comes back with no errors. So I try and reformat and install vista again. No go, I get this message, "Windows cannot install required files. The file does not exist. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070003"

Then i start thinking my memory has gone bad so I'm running memtest on the sticks one by one...... they are fine..... Look into bios on the PSU rails, and those come back relatively fine, just slightly undervolting on the 5v rail. I am clueless unless its something with the DVD drive or motherboard, I am all out of things to test..... Ordering a few replacement parts to have on hand to test when stuff like this happens..... Gut feeling has me thinking it might be the PSU starting to go? Not sure.......

Specs:
E6600
IP35 Pro
2x2gigs patriot ddr2 800
WD raptor 150, wd 200, wd 750
OCZ evostream 600

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Are you trying to install using an upgrade disk or the full retail version? If you haven't already, flash your BIOS to the latest rev. 17. If you already have the latest revision, try resetting CMOS. After resetting CMOS only change those settings which are absolutely necessary for the installation of Vista. If you have AHCI enabled in the BIOS, disable it and instead enable Native IDE. You might also want to disable (either from within the BIOS, or by manually disconnecting) the two additional HDD's you have installed, at least until after Vista is up and running. And if all else fails try installing from a different DVD-ROM drive.

Its the full windows version. Bios is all up to date and i have it set to the bare minimums. I have a new DVD drive commin in tuesday so I'll give that a whorl......... I really hope thats the only thing wrong.

alright, got a new SATA DVD drive and I get a hell of a lot further and it errors out at 99%, tried it w/ another copy of windows and erred out earlier. Moved 1 stick of ram around to different slots, and now trying new ram...... this is just driving me nuts.... tested the hard drive w/ diagnostic tools a ton and always comes back error free

i would have thought it may have been your overclock maybe? You didnt state whether you have OC'd or not - but i usually get that when i go too far. Either that or "IRQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL" - if you have overclocked it could have been your PSU couldnt take it anymore maybe - but all this is based on a "overclock" - and you may not have OC'd lol.

I did have it oc'ed to 3.2ghz. When it must have let go, i went back to stock volts and clock. Its running stable right now with the new power supply i picked up.

Back