• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

noob, lots of questions please help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

inkleoneaters

Registered
hi, can anyone answer my following questions please.
1) are all xp's locked as my athlon 1.4 is factory unlocked.
2) how do i know when to increase the voltage?
3) my mobo will let me change the clock speed on my cpu from 100-250, normally its at 133, but i have gotten it to 145, i cant seem to get it above that, even if i reducet the clock multiplier, can anyone shed some light as to why?
4) are all processors stable at different temps, if not can someone tell me what temps my 1.4ghz athlon is stable at plz?
5) where can i get that sandra benchmarking program from?
6) i have 4 temp sensors in mbm, 23c, 54c, 29c, from my bios i have determined that 54 is the processor and 29 is the system, anyone know what 23 is? the first 3 sensors are via66b1,2,3 but i have a fouth which reads 4c its nightime here but my room aint that cold, i dont think, hell it might be i'm in england, this 4th temp sensor is labelled max1617-9 (local) what is it measuring? i have a tnt 16mb graph card with heatsink i have a 4cm fan can i just glue them together as there are no screw holes in the heatsink? if so what glue should i use? erm i have more questions but cant remember them, so i'll ask if anyone answers these.

cheers.

I'll try to answer as many as I can ;)

1) Yes, all XP's are locked.

2) When you oc and start getting instabilities then you start raising your voltage. But have to watch your temps and shouldn't really go over 2.2V (and that is a gutsy setting).

3) When you raise your fsb you raise the clock speed on your pci and agp also. Therefore they go beyond the specs and your pci or agp cards start going screwy.

4) Its really different from cpu to cpu, but you should try to be stable at full load temps of below 50C.

5) Go to this link. and do a search for sandra.

6) I don't know of any mobos that have more than 3 temp sensors, so the fourth one is nothing.

7) If you just glue the fan on the heatsink then the blades may hit the heatsink. Get some silicone glue and make four small piles corresponding to the four corners of the fan. Then put the fan on and let it dry. This way your fan will sit a little bit above the heatsink.

If i've made any mistakes I'm sure someone more experienced than me will point them out.

cheers for that, i just realised that i could have answered the fsb question myself by looking at easytune, just strange label in the bios confused me.

i have remembered my other questions.

7) i have heard that there is now 333 mhz ram or at least ones faster than 266, can i mix 2 different speeds? would i need a faster fsb to achieve 333 or is it 2.5x 133 memory?

8) can raising the voltage on the processor damage it, or is it only heat that can damage it?

9) whats core 1 voltage on mbm? mine reads 1.15v

10) i have a default option on my mobo for voltage, what does this do, will it automatically adjust it or not, currently it reads 1.787v?

11) i am thinking of getting a 60-80mm fan adapter, and fitting an 80mm delta fan, due to lack of money as heatsinks are too expensive at present. any suggestions, do these fan adapters actually work? is the 80mm delta the best fan, i'm not bothered about noise, as my power supply fan already tries to drill holes in my head with its high picthed whining, just a minute gonna try hitting it! nope that didnt work! ps. i have a coolermaster standard heatsink cost a fiver including fan at present.

the answers you seek

7. DDR 333 uses PC2700 or PC3000 DDR sdram. It runs at a higher speed than the actual FSB I believe.

8. Both

9. Don't know about core1 in MBM... try different voltage sensors. You'll want the Core volatge monitor to show the same voltage you get in bios... 1.787

10. The default Vcore is probably the lowest voltage setting for your cpu.. my guess 1.75v

11. A bigger fan spins slower and is less noisy. Look at the CFM ratings of fans to find the good ones. If noise doesn't bother you, a 60mm fan should be fine.

Save the fan adapter dollars for a QUALITY Heatsink. Better cooling and higher voltage will help your OC stability.

Back