• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I trade my 4870 for a 4850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dapman02

Hi,
A few weeks ago I asked the question of which Video card to get.
I went with the 4870 and loved my decision. Now a few weeks later, and I'm kinda wondering if I made the right choice. I read a few more reviews, and the gains with the 4870 seem minimal (read: a few fps) over the 4850. Now I ask, should I trade the 4870 for a 4850, or are the reviews not a very accurate picture. Remember, i'm now playing at 1680x1050 not 1440x900

I'd keep what you have, do a bios flash to the one thats in the ATI section and overclock it some more. I have 2 4850's(not CF'd) and yes they're nice cards but my 4870 does much better than they do at higher res's

ill give u my 4850 for ur 4870 :).

but if i was u i would hold onto the 4870 cos the time will come when u wish u had better again

The 4870 is suppose to do a whole lot better at a resolution like yours so I would keep it unless you're not worried about fps or don't mind turning down your settings.

Also consider your case airflow, unless you're also watering the video card. A 4870 exhausts outside the case. A 4850 exhausts right back into your case.

then you should return it provided that you are not taking advantage of best buys warranty if it doesnt allow returns just because you are not satisfied

The 4870 is suppose to do a whole lot better at a resolution like yours so I would keep it unless you're not worried about fps or don't mind turning down your settings.

1680x1050 is somewhat of an advantage for the 4870 but 1920x1200 is where it really leaps ahead siginficantly, so given his resolution the 4850 is a good card atm. Maybe less so for future games but who knows with those :shrug: The price really isn't that good anyway, if getting a lower price and some money back is important I don't think you'll miss the 4870 performance-wise, just make sure you have good exhaust for the 4850.

Back