• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Phenom 9850 build (Large Pictures warning)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hammercloud_II

Registered
I went too long without a computer my last rig died after about 2 years.

P1010057copy.jpg

I put this rig together less than two weeks ago. So far so good.
Some comments about the case:
I really liked the NZXT Tempest as soon as I saw it online. More fans than you can shake a stick at- just what I needed.
The toolless design is fairly handy; not sure if it's what I needed in the long run. There were a few broken pieces inside the case when I opened it up. The harddisk LED housing on the left side of the case had cracked in half, but I fixed it with clear epoxy. I accidentally cracked the front panel trying to remove it. Should have been a little more careful. This is a heavy case btw.
Case came with a few extra things such as zip ties and screws.
Optical drives installed easily.
My M3A78-T sits comfortably on the standoffs included with the case.
PSU sits snug on the bottom of this case.
I was concerned when ordering the CNPS 9700 heatsink and fan that things would get tight, but fits in nice and neat.
Comments about the Motherboard:
This is really a great motherboard it has up to 5200 HT and supports up to 8 GB of RAM
3x PCIe 2.0 x16 slots
88E8056 Gigabit LAN
8 Channel HiDef audio onboard
12x USB 2.0, 5x SATA
It only has 1 IDE connector so your'e out of luck if you want to use more than that. It comes with a IDE cable which is nice though.

P1010048copy.jpg

I cleaned up the cables with the included zipties from my case.
I bought the RAM only because I trust Corsair for quality products. All I can say at this point - without overclocking - this RAM has run very stable with any game I throw at it. Haven't run Memtest on it yet. I did run Prime95 on torture test for 24 hours with no errors.

P1010053copy.jpg

Comments about the Cooler:

The Zalman CNPS 9700 is freakin' HUGE. You can't tell from the pictures but if you put your to fists together - just do it - that's about how big it is.
The fins ARE sharp, despite what someone might say. I cut myself twice already.

P1010046copy.jpg

I had a little trouble putting this heatsink on the CPU. I had the mobo installed in the case first. Didn't have to use the alternate mounting brackets that it came with.
The one annoying thing about the heatsink was that when it arrived it was bent. And you can't remove the fan. I just bent the fan away from the fins. Otherwise the fan would hit the copper fins and stop.
Sweet blue LED fan adds to the effect of the case.

P1010054copy.jpg

Comments about the 9600 GT Alpha Dog:

Newegg had one sweet deal on this card. I got an instant rebate and a mail-in rebate as well.
Card came with Call of Duty 4, which it will tear apart every time I play.
Not as good as the 8800 GT, but well worth the pricetag after rebates.
Hasn't over heated even after leaving the computer on for 3 days and playing video games.

Comments about the PSU:
This is a great power supply unit made by Corsair. Two fans inside keep it very cool, it's not radiating a great amount of heat into the case.
Haven't done any overclocking yet, so I don't know how reliable it is.
Nice mottled finish feels robust to the touch and very solid. Good addition to the effect of the whole case.
Comes with a cool sticker.

P1010066copy.jpg

Comments about the Monitor
The Acer 22" widescreen is perfect for me because I do a lot of graphic design work.
Does not "ghost"
Good height and is lightweight.
Looks astonishing when running video games or movies.

Comments about the External Devices
I wasn't too concerned about sound when buying this rig although I'm a little disappointed I didn't buy a 4.1 surround sound system. I just use my iHome as my speakers instead for now.
I went with the Logitech S 510 wireless keyboard and mouse. It is the most comfortable experience with a keyboard and mouse I have ever had. This mouse can even be used all the way across the room!
Notice I use the TrackMan Wheel mouse for graphics more than gaming becuase it is way more precise than the wireless laser mouse.
I don't use the tv for anything except Adult Swim and my two angels are happy they get to see me when I work every day (as shown in the pictures below).

P1010063copy.jpg

This is Bubbles. She is a female fancy blue rat just like the one in Ratatouille.
P1010072copy.jpg

And this is Champagne. She is a female fancy rat.
P1010074copy.jpg

Wow, great pics!! If only others would do this too!! That cooler is freaking huge!!!

The desk is a but cluttered and messy!! I prefer to have my monitor back up against the wall!! Can you put the case on the floor?

Love the rats too!! :beer:

Last edited:
Wow, great pics!! If only others would do this too!! That cooler is freaking huge!!!

The desk is a but cluttered and messy!! I prefer to have my monitor back up against the wall!! Can you put the case on the floor?

Love the rats too!! :beer:

Welcome! :beer:

If you're looking for pics of setups I'd advise you to go browse the cases sections and the alternative modding sections. You'll find no shortage of pictures in there :santa:

However, I agree that people should put up more pics after they build their rig ;)

edit: Rig Pics <-- that thread has been going for almost 3 years.

Do the rats chew on your cords?

Actually I used to let them run around my room at my old house and I never
had a problem with them chewing on cords. That's not to say they wouldn't
if they were to find them tasty. I keep a close eye on them at all times. I
just let them run around for the pictures. They are trained very well and
they do not bit people, but they might nibble to test your finger to see if
it's food without breaking the skin though.

The desk is a but cluttered and messy!! I
prefer to have my monitor back up against the wall!! Can you put the case
on the floor?

The desk is actually quite large so I have a lot of room to work with and it
feels pretty comfortable. Most times when I use my keyboard I have it in my
lap.

Looks good. Do you have the CRT TV hooked
up to your computer as well?

No. I would need a converter.
One thing I forgot to mention about the video card was that it came with a
DVI to HDMI converter. Pretty sweet deal.

P1010046copy.jpg

;) Nice to see someone else's pain after building their rig!
Awsome pics hammercloud. Great looking pc. Keep us posted on how well the Phenom clocks on your M3A78 board.

love the rats.
+1. :D

Nice review, I like how you commented on each part of hardware. I have the 20" version of the Acer, and I agree that it's pretty good. I think my Samsung 930B is better than my Acer, but Acer has done a good job with making a good LCD that is huge for a good price.

I think that everything comes with an HDMI adapter these days.

The Zalman is huge, I just got one the other day and was shocked that it was bigger than the retail Intel box for the CPU!

One thing I noticed is that it looks like you only have exhaust fans on your case. I don't know if it's possible, but adding some intakes in the front by the CDROMs would probably help with temps if you do get the system to run hotter. Also, I wonder if the video card's only source of air being from the PSU's exhaust will be a problem later. Just things to keep in mind.

Great review! Do it again on your next build! :)

Back