• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 Extreme Edition 3.20 GHz for my Ex

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MartinC

I'm setting up a computer for my ex, mainly bling with all her pics/music/videos access to myspace, CD burning & Sims 2 so I chose not to use cutting edge hardware and save her a few bucks.

Here is the problem I have a SL7AA INTEL CPU a GA-8PE800 Pro Motherboard and G.Skill 2GB PC3200 RAM

I'm not sure which is causing the problem but if I set the CPU Host Frequency over 166MHz the POST doesn't get to "memory test" and restarts however if I set the RAM multiplier to 2.66 the memory boots and runs well over 800MHz...

I/ problem is that CPU is 800fsb and M/B is 533/400 fsb

2/ problem is Ram PC3200 the M/B only takes PC2100/2700

3/ Problem is if your Ex is going to play Sims2 you will have to have a stable PC not Clocked as game doesnt like O/C much

What GPU are ypu planning to use?

I/ problem is that CPU is 800fsb and M/B is 533/400 fsb

2/ problem is Ram PC3200 the M/B only takes PC2100/2700

3/ Problem is if your Ex is going to play Sims2 you will have to have a stable PC not Clocked as game doesnt like O/C much

What GPU are ypu planning to use?

I have a ATI 9800 Pro I bought cheap, my old 9600 Pro could run The Sims 2 with a little lag so I'm guessing this will plow it

Mhhh...the board unoffically supports 800MHz FSB, Gigabyte recommends using PC3200 RAM when overclocking to 800MHz with this board, thus why I got faster RAM,

Somehow, the Intel 845PE's yield was much better than most of us had expected and with a little bit of work to optimize the motherboard's layout, the 845PE is now fully boosted to support up to an 800MHz FSB clock. That puts the chipset all the way up there alongside the soon-to-be-announced Springdale chipsets. Although what's missing with the 845PE is dual-channel memory and AGP 8X support, it is still very much useful for users who want a budget system based on Intel's latest 800MHz FSB. [hardwarezone.com]

Could it have anything to do with the RAM timing? It's set to G.Skill default 2.5-3-3-6

Also the fact that POST detects the CPU but never gets to RAM testing is making me think it's the memory

Oh and I should make it clear, the system boots and runs WinXP just not at full speed...

I have a GA-865PE1000G Pro with 2.8Ghz proc and have my fsb set to 200 x14 multi for ram SPD @ 2x that gives 800spd for ram

( old P4 in my sig)

The ATI 9800Pro will run The Sims2 only just though Good luck with the drivers as they are a pain when running Sims2

Other EP's above Sim2 Base + Uni + NL you will have problems with graphic wise, thats why updated my wifes ( avid Simmer) PC to a better PCIe XFX GF7600GT 512 XXX editon as to many issues with the ATI cards

JS

Last edited:
Well it ended up being the RAM, I put in some cheap (relatively) Kingston Value RAM and it worked like a charm, sad because I had 2GB of G.Skill performance RAM (as stated above) that I had to put it in my Grandma's crappy Athlon 3000+ machine where it's running at 1332MHz stable...

Still if anyone has a clue to why the G.Skill RAM won't run (fails the POST memory test even at 667MHz unless you skip it then Windows would boot) on this motherboard I would really like to know?

I'm setting up a computer for my ex, mainly bling with all her pics/music/videos access to myspace, CD burning & Sims 2 so I chose not to use cutting edge hardware and save her a few bucks.

Okay, now that you sort of have an answer, we need to address the larger issue of why you're schlepping around doing things for your ex. Ex-wife? Didn't you see John Goodman in The Big Lebowski?

Okay, now that you sort of have an answer, we need to address the larger issue of why you're schlepping around doing things for your ex. Ex-wife? Didn't you see John Goodman in The Big Lebowski?

LOL , thats exactly the Question my wife was interested in too.

Glad you got it sorted though.

the ram can run at slower speeds and should automatically, if it didn't you could of just manually set the speeds and it prob would of worked.

i always just bought pc3200 for rigs as it was cheaper usually then pc2700 in the last days and all our rigs here with the ram, run at pc2700 speeds fine.

as for sims 2, it shouldn't matter overclocked or not, if windows is stable a game doesn't know if your cpu is overclocked or stock.

the ram can run at slower speeds and should automatically, if it didn't you could of just manually set the speeds and it prob would of worked.

i always just bought pc3200 for rigs as it was cheaper usually then pc2700 in the last days and all our rigs here with the ram, run at pc2700 speeds fine.

as for sims 2, it shouldn't matter overclocked or not, if windows is stable a game doesn't know if your cpu is overclocked or stock.
I tried everything, it would only run at 200MHz...changed timing, different slots, nothing worked

LOL , thats exactly the Question my wife was interested in too.

Glad you got it sorted though.
I owed her plus she gave me a b-job

Back