• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keyboard not being recognized when booting from floppy/CD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MVPillman

Registered
My keyboard is recognized to get to the BIOS screen, and to do stuff in the BIOS screen. It also works once booted into Windows XP.

However, if I'm trying to boot from a floppy or a CD, my keyboard is not recognized (i.e. if I'm prompted on startup to boot from a CD by pressing a key, the key press is never registered and I'm stuck).

I use a wireless keyboard/mouse, but tried unplugging them and using another USB keyboard, but the same thing happens. Anyone ever run into this?

Either enable the "USB Legacy Support" option in the BIOS, or use a USB--> PS2 adapter and plug your keyboard's wireless receiver into a PS2 port... same goes for your mouse.

ANother thing could be if the XP hasn't had updated USB drivers installed yet. Some versions of XP had problems with USB being recognized.

The PS/2 thing didn't work, but I went into the BIOS looking for that USB Legacy Support option... I ended up finding an option I didn't notice before, called something like "Enable USB Keyboard"... :p That did the trick. Now to remember how to set up a connection to my network. hah.

Back