• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help me hit 500mhz fsb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hemirunner426

Registered
System:
Q9550
EP45T-DS3R
OCZ 16000 Platinum 4GB

Memory is set to 2.66B (i believe) in the BIOS, it runs at 1333MHz @ 9-9-9-28-2T to eliminate memory for the moment. (this memory has ran memtest at these settings and passed)

The multiplier is at 6x at a Vcore of 1.35 for now. I have set the PLL voltage to 1.50 and i would like to keep the FSB voltage (Vterm) around 1.30 or lower... is that possible?

CPU Reference voltage is kept at auto (.75) and does not change when i change the Vterm value. What exactly does this setting do? Is it similar to what GTLVREF voltage settings? How can i use it to reduce the Vterm voltage?

I have changed the ref voltages from .70-.91 and i still cannot get the machine to be stable in prime95. Most the time vista will not load. Upping the FSB voltage to 1.40 will allow it to boot and run SmallFTTs for a short while before throwing an error. So it seems that upping FSB voltage is the key.

MCH voltage seemed to help too. I have read that this chipset needs voltage in and around the 1.40-45 range. There is also a reference voltage setting here as well, does that function in the same way as the CPU. Its currently set to 1.46, but again the system is not prime stable. (small ftt)

Any information will be appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:
so far i have been running prime stable @500mhz fsb... could someone let me know how this looks?

CPU PLL: 1.50v
CPU Term: 1.3v
CPU Ref: .86v
CPU Vcore: 1.35

MCH Core: 1.6v
MCH Ref: auto[.75v]

CPU is on an 6x multiplier for now... temps are running ~60C in a very hot room at around 30C.

My next step is to start working the memory up which is at 1.9v @ 1333 (2.66B is selected in the BIOS on auto timings). This is 2x2GB OCZ Platinum 16000 DDR3.

attached is a screenshot... i'd like to know if there are any other possible tweaks i can do before moving on to memory... as well as any pointers to tweak the memory as well. :)

Attachments

• 500.jpg
    500.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Why are you running such a low multiplier? Why not run w/ an FSB of 460 - 470 w/ an 8.5 multiplier for a clock speed of 3.9 - 4.0GHz or higher, or are you just trying to find out what the board will do maximum FSB-wise?

thats exactly what i am trying to do. I will start raising the multiplier once i make sure the FSB is stable.

core 3 failed after 3 hours, however the rest continued on for several more hours without failure. I am going to run prime95 again to see if core 3 fails again. If it does i will try to bump the reference voltage up one notch.

Is it (somewhat) safe to run the chipset voltage so high? If another core fails on this second run i may have to bump the voltage up on the chipset another notch.

Last edited:
Have you tried lowering the reference voltages? On my board the options only go from 0.57 to 0.69.

The chipset or cpu reference voltage? I havent tried on the cpu... i read up on the GTLREF voltage articles and followed the table that is posted in an article on anatech. Default or (auto) in this case is .76v and from what i understand, you need to increase this with an increase in VTT because of the extra noise introduced onto the bus. As far as the chipset is concerned, i havent tried that and i am not really sure on what to do with it. It seems to be most stable set to auto.

I would at least try lowering it. You'll either see an improvement, or it'll get worse. Try it on both CPU and chipset. It won't hurt anything.

Back