• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

60oC Load, at stock?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mad_pc_man

Hi,
Just got an E8400 45nm C0.

Have never o/ced before so don't know much about temps and such.

But I ran Prime95 on both cores and coretemp read 60oC, at STOCK speeds. Is this ok? I have an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

mad_pc_man

i think you need to remount that heatsink those temps are high for stock speeds....

how much thermal paste did you use and what brand ? how did you apply it?

you should put a dot about the size of a grain of rice in the middle of the cpu

try checking in real temp. you could only be at 50c under load which isnt too far off. realtemp and core temp usually show a 10c difference in temp. if i remember correctly realtemp is better for 45nm chips and coretemp is better for 65nm chips. also you could have a bad seat on the cpu as well. also what tim did you use. if its as5 then it make take a couple of days for it to cure and give you maximum effeciency. good luck and let us know if anything here helps.

Yes, the fan is plugged in, I used IC Diamond, I used possibly a bit over a pea size amount. I'm using CoreTemp to measure temps and I get 54oC at idle and 60oC after running Prime95 with the fan at full blast on both.

hmm thats tough those temps are definitely high.i would venture to guess you have bad contact between the cpu and hsf.

I have re greased with arctic silver ceramique, rice sized amount, looked ok once put on.
I have not lapped the HS or the CPU as I read it only takes off a couple of oC at most. The base of the HS feels quite rough, but not worryingly so I dont think.

SpeedStep is ON, and the average voltage is around 1.15v, but jumping up and down obviously.

What on earth could be wrong, could the temperature sensors in the actual CPU be malfunctioning?

Should I try the stock HSF to see if its a problem with the AC F7 PRO?

What's your case airflow like? If the HSF on the CPU is moving the heat off the CPU into the air, but that hot air can't get out of the case, then the HSF will lose its effectiveness due to having no cool air to transfer the heat to. Give us a picture(s) of the inside of your case.

Keep in mind many C0 CPUs have wonky DTS sensoring issues, could possibly be a stuck sensor for your idle temps but since it is going up for load that means load is probably correct.

I tested with realtemp and got a sensor movemnt of 3 for both cores, are they stuck, they read 50oC at idle, should I try using the stock HSF to see if the prblem lies with the semi-broken- pushpin of the F7?

Actually the sensor reading should be between 3 and 15 iirc, so it doesn't seem out out of the ordinary.

I had two of my sensors on my old Q9550 read 0

I have a guy in our forums with an E8400 cooled by an Noctua NH-U12P and whatever he's doing (idle or 5 passes of IntelBurnTest) he have same cores temperatures: 51°C.
Try to heat up CPU (Orthos small FTT's, OCCT or better IntelBurnTest) and take a look at distance to TJMax. If it's >30 you're safe IMHO.

Back